Airfix 1/72 Me262A-A1

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Airfix 1/72 Me262A-A1

Post by splash »

Although this is not a subject I normally like, it was an important evaluation in fighter war fare and I can see why Airfix has updated its very old kit.

First impression are good, the mouldings are crisp with fine detail, the panel lines do look slightly to deep, but a coat of paint should fill them nicely.

The instructions look clear and simple to follow and you get two colour sheets showing colour images to help with the painting of one of the two different colour schemes supplied.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/72 Me262A-A1

Post by celt »

Not my cup of tea,but it looks like its well made.I like ugly aircraft,Hurricane,Lysander and the like.A new tooled Lizzie in 1/72 would get my vote,although I would probably the only one. :razz:
fredk

Post by fredk »

I think there will be a two-seater night-fighter and the fighter-bomber version in the future.
Airfix have pre-planned for those in the parts
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Regardless of politics and I dislike the Nazi regime as much as the next man, as the world's first fully operational jet fighter this type is well worthy of the new tool treatment by Airfix IMHO and it looks to be an excellent kit. The panel lines are a little deep but I can live with that as my experience with other NT's is that they look fine under paint. It would be nice, however, if Airfix would compliment the kit with one of the second jet fighter to see operational service, our very own Meteor Mk 1 which the '262 only just pipped at the post.

There are options for those who really don't want to finish the model in wartime Luftwaffe colours such as captured versions in allied markings or the post war Czech Avia S-92 - if decals aren't already available hopefully they soon will be. Go on, buy one, you know you want to :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

ShaunW wrote: It would be nice, however, if Airfix would compliment the kit with one of the second jet fighter to see operational service, our very own Meteor Mk 1 which the '262 only just pipped at the post.
Airfix did a perfectly good Meteor F.1 in the early sixties that should be good enough for any man! :ha:
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
iggie

Post by iggie »

this is true.... but it really is deserving of some new tool tlc :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Spaceowl wrote:
ShaunW wrote: It would be nice, however, if Airfix would compliment the kit with one of the second jet fighter to see operational service, our very own Meteor Mk 1 which the '262 only just pipped at the post.
Airfix did a perfectly good Meteor F.1 in the early sixties that should be good enough for any man! :ha:
I don't remember an F1 but I do know they did an F3 which was released around 1970. It's quite a nice kit, even now.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I fully endorse ShawnW's view on the regime that spawned the Me262. However, the '262 is certainly the progenitor of modern jet aircraft. The Meteor (an aircraft I have always wanted to fly - the Canberra was as close as I got) was a bit of a 'lost cause', whilst the centrifigal jet engine has some advantages the axial flow engine is the core to modern jet propulsion. My suspicion is that I am going to be building one of these over the next 11 months - I think it is going to be 'the model' for next years Air Cadet competition.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Eric Mc wrote:
Spaceowl wrote:
I don't remember an F1 but I do know they did an F3 which was released around 1970. It's quite a nice kit, even now.
Yes, I've looked it up and you're quite right - it is a Mk.III which was released in 1970. Funny that I can't remember that one as a new release, I was certainly around and registering an interest in model kits at time.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I have to agree with that's been said, it's such an important aircraft that it's well deserved a new tool status - even if you don't like Luftwaffe aircraft. However I do disagree with the notion that the panel lines are too deep - I personally think they're spot on, IF... you happen to use a paintbrush. I really do hate this modern leaning towards ultra-fine lines only suitable for airbrushing. I'd rather Airfix kept a bit of depth.

The kit itself is a corker. The cockpit it superb, the two part ip decal actually fits! The only issue I've had so far is the fit of the fuselage halves. No gaps, but I've had to use a spot of filler to tidy up the sprue marks and the slight step.

Great fun.

Cheers

ST
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mylo66
Getting well comfy!

Post by mylo66 »

agree totally about the panel lines. A coat of Halfords primer and two thin well pulled out bush coats of humbrol acrylic & they look fine.

Return to “In-Box reviews”