Waltersons (Forces of Valor), 1/72, FAU-1D Corsair

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
X12A
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Waltersons (Forces of Valor), 1/72, FAU-1D Corsair

Post by X12A »

I haven’t done an ‘In-box Review’ before but this was such a lovely little kit I thought I’d share it with the group. Apologies if it’s been done before!

I was after a Corsair but I hadn’t really heard of Waltersons, there seem to be lots of different ones out there that are produced by the big boys and some at ridiculous prices. However as Jadlam were practically giving these away (£6.99 with free postage) I thought I’d take a punt but wasn’t really holding my breath.

When the kit arrived, my initial concerns were rapidly dispelled, each spruce was individually packaged and the canopy was even wrapped in foam! The kit went together really well and much of it was such a good fit (the male and female locators are almost a push fit joint) you could probably build most of it without glue – fuselage, upper and lower wing sections, fit of wings and tail wings to the fuselage didn’t need to be glued, the prop just pushes on and stays in place and the canopy has little adaptions so that just pushes on without the risk of glue going everywhere.

The undercarriage is a little fiddly but pales into insignificance when compared to that of the Wildcat/Martlet. The cockpit is a little sparce (seat, joystick, instrument panel) and the pilot looks like he’s sat on the loo but at the price I paid I’m not complaining.

The kit has adaptions on the wings for drop tanks, so if these are not being used something else will have to go there – in my case bombs!

The decals are nicely spread out but do have a noticeable border – I wasn’t going to use them anyway!

There was only one bit that had excess plastic and my fear that it would not survive contact with the scalpel turned out to be wholly unjustified.

My only gripes with kit is the fact that the pitot tube is part of the lower wing section, how I didn’t snap it off, I’ll never know and the painting instructions are somewhat limited but as I usually download either the Tamiya, Airfix or Eduard 1/48 destructions as their painting instructions are a lot more detailed, this wasn’t an issue really.

So, if you’re after a nice kit at a ridiculously cheap price, they are/were in Jadlam’s clearance section (I don’t have shares in them btw, other model shops are available), I’ve bought another one after building this!

Any inaccuracies with the kit are above my pay scale I’m afraid but hopefully someone can advise when I get round to putting the finished product in the Aviation Section.

Admins - if this breaches any advertising rules, let me know and I'll remove the shop name!

Cheers,

J
Clashcityrocker

Re: Waltersons (Forces of Valor), 1/72, FAU-1D Corsair

Post by Clashcityrocker »

They've even moulded the plastic in FS colours! :)

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

This also seems to be available as a pre-assembled model from FOV but I'm not sure if that is in plastic or alloy using the same tooling, but that might explain the almost snap-together nature of the kit...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This one looks quite good but I have the Spitfire IX. They got the fin and rudder very wrone, but repairable.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Not a manufacturer I've heard of, but that looks like a great kit.
Thanks for the review.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II

Return to “In-Box reviews”