Tamiya 1/48 Tiger 1 EARLY

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Michael modeller 48

Tamiya 1/48 Tiger 1 EARLY

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Towards the middle of WWII, the Wehrmacht was hard pressed on two fronts, facing tough fighting against the superior Soviet T34 and KV-I tanks in

the East, and retreating in the face of the Allied offensive in North Africa. But in late 1942, German units were assigned a powerful new war machine

that far surpassed the Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks: the Tiger I. Equipped with the awesome 88mm main gun, 100mm thick armor at the front,

80mm armor on the sides, and a 650hp Maybach engine, the Tiger I is widely considered to be the most powerful and sophisticated tank of its time.

Henschel produced over 1,300 Tiger I heavy tanks during the period of the war, ranging from initial production to modified late production models.

The approximately 200 models produced from November 1942 to June 1943 are characterized as early production models. Distinctive features of

early production Tiger I tanks include the large cylinder shaped cupola with a smoke discharger and pistol ports on the turret. The Tiger I first saw

action against the Soviets near Leningrad, and went on to serve with distinction on the Eastern, Western, Italian and African fronts, gaining the fear

and respect of its Allied foes.

1/48 scale replica of the early production Tiger I featuring 1/35 Military Miniature series detail. Overall length: 175mm, Overall width: 77mm Die-

cast chassis for extra weight and enhanced realism. Tank treads are assembly type, with straight upper and lower treads made of single piece for

easy assembly.

Comes with decals for 4 different markings.

Tank No.S33, PzReg 2
Russia, Summer 1943

Paints need: TS-3 Dark Yellow;
XF-61 Dark Green

Tank No.332, sPzAbt 503
Russia, Summer 1943

Paints need: TS-4 German Grey

Die-cast Chassis For Realistic Heavy Tank Model

The 1/48 German Tiger I features a die-cast chassis which gives the model a total weight of 210g. This unique feature gives the small sized,

compact 1/48 scale Tiger I a weighty and solid feel. This model overall length is 175mm

Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Tiger 1 EARLY

Post by Springy67 »

Would be interested to see this built up. I have been looking at getting one of these for ages.
Michael modeller 48

Go out and get one! Nice kit! I am just finishing off a Airfix 1/72 Mustang might start this one next...need to go to model for German gray or dark green.

I have not decided on which scheme probably I'll go gray.

I did a crusader in 1/48 it when great to build!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice, it's Tamiya so I'd be surprised if it gave you any major dramas, Michael. Looking at the parts it looks like the kit has link and length tracks rather than the more usual plastic full length affairs. L and L tracks can sometimes be a little tricky, depending on the manufacturer, but as this is Tamiya you should be OK and the track style should help you achieve the realistic sag to the tracks easier than with the full-length plastic tracks which would try to spring up off the top of the roadwheels. Nothing looks more wrong than a Tiger with no track sag -in real life those tracks were seriously heavy and there were no separate high level return rollers in the drive train design, for example like there are on a Panzer Mark IV. Instead the tracks run along the top of the main road wheels, hence the sag in the tracks between the drive sprockets at the front and the main wheels.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

To be honest I had trouble gluing L and L links on Crusader! I hope to do better. Be kind in critique however this one turns out. Sag or no haha

Good to know, should I use my lepages super gel glue on links? Any advice Shawn on links?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

These appear to be styrene L&L tracks, so super glue is probably not necessary. I am absolutely ignorant of this kit and so do not know how the various lengths of each track section work out -- a couple long pieces for top/bottom and several short pieces to get around the sprocket/idler curves or what.

Perhaps you can take a shot of that particular page(s) from the instructions so we can see.

Then, once you start your build in your Workbench or in the Military section, we can discuss it better.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

John has covered it nicely, Michael. I've also never built this kit but I agree that the tracks look to be made out of the same plastic as the rest of the kit so your regular model glue should do the trick.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

I only suggest super glue because of the “quick hold”. Not because of the type of plastic. I found doing the links of my crusader hard to glue without

having to hold them or they tend to fall apart before setting? I will take pictures of instruction my crusader gave order to which section first and so

on. I am sure this kit is same! I tend not to post in air and tank section only because my build do not measure up to same standard as other

builds. My has flaws and mistakes. I'll keep posting to Workbench thread....I do not need to show finished models at least not yet...(update I have

posted a few).
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Don’t be shy showing your work, as you will only get support from this forum, I can’t ever recall anyone receiving negative comments about a build. We have all been at the just stick it together and don’t bother with paint stage when we first started, it’s learning by your mistakes and having a go that builds your skills.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Michael modeller 48

It's not shy, I post a couple builds in WW2 - Allies and Postwar - 60s . I post my Blitzbau build because I have build in excuse blame it on time crunch

haha. I am painting them but i tend to rush building sometimes. Yes I am learning but sometimes it is slow go.

I decide to post all of the instructions for the review.

I post the track instructions in my thread....I found the single links around the curve hard to do and them bunching up?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks for the review, I haven’t built a Tamiya tank since the 60’s when they used to come with two electric motors and a remote control attached by wires.

Seeing your review it’s about time I tried a Tamiya tank again.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Oh, I see, very clever -- it seems from step 4 that there is a template on the A-sprue for you to form the upper/rear run, then when that it dry, you place it on the wheels in step 5 and add the lower/front pieces.

I will tell you I generally use a completely different type track (Fruilmodel), but I have found assembling the plastic L&L (or just plain link-link) using Tamiya tape to hold the pieces (because usually the pieces don't connect well or don't hold under strain), then gently touching the joint with some liquid glue (if needed). Not too much glue, you don't want it attacking the tape. Then put the upper/rear on and use the Tamiya tape trick to assemble the rest of the track to the that -- and again gently liquid glue and let sit.

You can then remove the tape and do a little bit more liquid glue if needed, but not so much that it attacks the joins you have already made. Then touch up any paint.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Michael modeller 48

Thanks John
Michael modeller 48

Thanks Splash, good for you. Go out and get one today! Highly Recommend!
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks good. That metal chassis should give the finished model a nice 'sit'

Nigel

Return to “In-Box reviews”