Italeri Dornier Do 24T '1/72 Historic Upgrade' N0 1323

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Italeri Dornier Do 24T '1/72 Historic Upgrade' N0 1323

Post by iggie »

This kit appears to be an upgraded version of the venerable Italaerei Do 24T which was first issued in 1978. The box art claims "fully upgraded tools", a coloured instruction sheet and super decals.
Inside, there are (in addition to the aforementioned instructions and decals) 3 frames of grey plastic parts and one of clear, and a small fret of photo-etch.
The parts appear to be relatively free of flash, and are presented with a mixture of raised and recessed detail; panel lines are nicely recessed and are fairly crisp, and rivets are raised but not excessively so. It all looks pretty good, and should take pin-washes and similar weathering well. The gates can be a little tight to the parts, and the sprue runners are thick, giving away the age of the original tools I suspect.
The clear parts are indeed clear, and should allow internal details to be seen. Canopy & turret framing is raised, but neat and will assist greatly with masking and painting. There is also a stand to be assembled from clear parts which is a nice touch.
The PE fret contains seat belts, a very nice instrument panel, engine grills and others.
the instructions are in black and white for the most part, but in colour for the five schemes offered; 3 German, One each of Spanish and French Naval Aviation. Colour call-outs are given in Italeri acrylic only but any good comparison chart will reveal suitable alternative manufacturers & equivalents.
Decals look to be very nice, with a high gloss finish and are printed by Cartograph therefore almost guaranteeing good behaviour.

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Italeri Dornier Do 24T '1/72 Historic Upgrade' N0 1323

Post by ShaunW »

That looks very nice, Iggie and it's good to see markings options for more than just German subjects. I wonder if the upgrade to the tooling has resulted in the engraved panel lines? - I'm guessing the 70's original would have had raised lines - and also the general crispness of it. I've never built one of these so can't really comment on the original tooling but this version looks good to me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Thanks for the review iggie. I found a comparison review of the original here: http://www.olddogsplanes.com/24.htm;

My kit has already been started to I can't do the "sprue" shots, hence the link above. I'll scan my instructions and decals when I find them. To be honest the plastic for the new kit doesn't look a lot different, apart from lighter coloured plastic, but the photo etch and more options on the decal sheet are a bonus.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Comparing these shots with that review, there is a complete new frame for the cockpit and other details and the corresponding parts are removed from the fuselage frame. Looks really good and well worth getting hold of. One to add to the stash me thinks
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Many thanks for the review. Looks like I will be needing another. I bought the one I have after seeing the Spanish one at the RAF museum at Hendon many years ago. I wanted to do a Spanish SAR one with it but never got round to it.
edited. For some odd reason I thought it had Swedish decals, I swear my mind is going LoL

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie

Post by iggie »

Kitaholic wrote:Comparing these shots with that review, there is a complete new frame for the cockpit and other details and the corresponding parts are removed from the fuselage frame. Looks really good and well worth getting hold of. One to add to the stash me thinks
Yep, looking at the review Al posted up, there is a new frame altogether and duplicated parts are removed from the original sprues. The canopy has also had some extra framing added as far as I can see.

The wings and fuselage seem to be the same, but they look fine to me.

Flying boat GB anyone? :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

iggie wrote:
Kitaholic wrote:Comparing these shots with that review, there is a complete new frame for the cockpit and other details and the corresponding parts are removed from the fuselage frame. Looks really good and well worth getting hold of. One to add to the stash me thinks
Yep, looking at the review Al posted up, there is a new frame altogether and duplicated parts are removed from the original sprues. The canopy has also had some extra framing added as far as I can see.

The wings and fuselage seem to be the same, but they look fine to me.

Flying boat GB anyone? :grin:
very tempting
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it

Return to “In-Box reviews”