New Airfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

New Airfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Post by jssel »

I recently obtained the new Airfix P-51D Mustang at my LMS. One might ask if a new Mustang is needed in this day in age. I mean with the Tamigawa's out there of high quality you need to ask yourself why. Will, like the Spitfire, you can never have to many Mustangs. And to me, if you glance at the lower right hand corner of the box you see the price of $26.99 USD. About half of the cost of the Eastern editions. Plus 10% off for being a club member and it makes perfect sense.

The Boxart:

The innards: And you will see a full box of parts.

Individual sprue shots: You will see lots of goodies and extra parts for the different versions. One niggle I have is that there are two separate vertical stabilizers. They only differ in a small panel almost in alignment for the IFF antennas (maybe). My choice would have been a unit without the fillet so an earlier version could be made. Like I say, just a niggle.

You will see that there is quite compliment of underwing stores. 75 and 100 gallon drop tanks, 500lb bombs and bazooka rocket tubes. Seems to cover all the bases.

Clear parts: Two windscreens, and three sliding portions. I will need to look closer but one may have a slightly different profile for the "Dallas" built issue.

Decals: Nice choice. Not normally seen with model kits of the Mustang.

But my choice will be a Red-Nosed Debden Eagle. Most likely Red Dog XII. Late war version replacement birds with no invasion stripes added.

So there it is and I will dig in on the workbench thread.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: New Airfix 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Post by mattbacon »

Looks great... the pricing over there is interesting, though: Hannants has three boxings of the Tamiya equivalent for a a quid LESS than the Airfix kit, which makes the choice less obvious...

best,
M.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I see Airfix have included the nose intake panels for an RAF Mk.IV but not the required propellor. They've included just the shrouded type.
I suppose the bazooka tubes frame would be left out and the necessary prop included to replace that frame in an RAF Mk.IV issue of the kit
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I believe you are right Fred. Cuffed and un-cuffed would be nice. Lots of options but a few left half done. But a few more re-pops will show up I am sure.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
fredk

Post by fredk »

In todays announcement by Airfix; An RAF Mk.IV - Dooleybird, oh, and an F-51 version
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

fredk wrote:In todays announcement by Airfix; An RAF Mk.IV - Dooleybird, oh, and an F-51 version
This should include the correct prop. Not all kits with RAF versions included, had the non-cuffed blades.
So many models, so little time.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cheers for the review Jeff; I have this in the stash now and am looking forward to getting it onto the bench sooner than later!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “In-Box reviews”