Academy Tiger I 'Early' with full interior 13239 1/35

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Academy Tiger I 'Early' with full interior 13239 1/35

Post by iggie »

This kit dates back to 199* according to Scalemates; I'm guessing around 1995 for the original release. The boxing I have is from 201*, again Scalemeates is unclear but it must have been 2011 or 2012.
There are added sprues in grey plastic to provide the interior details, all of which looks to be pretty well moulded and with careful painting should make into a smart looking interior. Some extra cables and bits will no doubt add to the look, although I'm not entirely sure just how much will be visible without doing a 'cutaway' build or simply leaving the turret top off entirely. There are some hatches that can be left open, so I'm going with that when I get around to building the kit.
The original parts are moulded in tan, and are well up to modern standards in term of moulding and detail. The tracks are separate links, but need to be glued rather than the newer 'click-together' type such as Meng and Takom supply. This is strange as the road wheels and drive/idler sprockets are mounted using poly caps implying rotation of the wheels etc, which the tracks will not be able to copy... :???:
The instructions appear to be fairly clear, with useful colour call outs throughout. There are also some very nice sketches of the internals, which give a bit more of an idea of how it all goes together than the ordinary instructions, and that also show some cables, wires and the like for adding further detail if required.
All in all, a good looking kit!

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Academy Tiger I 'Early' with full interior 13239 1/35

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Wow, that is a full interior ! I like the provided cut-away drawings.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a great looking Tiger kit, Jim and hopefully it will be as good to build as it looks on the sprues. Reminds me in some ways of the old Tamiya 1/25th scale one, which also had interior detail.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

ShaunW wrote:That is a great looking Tiger kit, Jim and hopefully it will be as good to build as it looks on the sprues. Reminds me in some ways of the old Tamiya 1/25th scale one, which also had interior detail.
Indeed, although I don't think the Tamiya detail was as expansive as the Academy offering and of course some regarded the Tamiya exterior to be totally inaccurate! I have to say it looked like a Tiger to me though :grin: I kind of regret selling mine off a while back but I had nothing else in that scale and precious little room to store it, boxed or built!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I’m not a lover of the tiger but I must admit that’s a nice looking kit.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “In-Box reviews”