Modelcollect 1/72 scal T-80UM2 (Black Eagle) MBT

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Modelcollect 1/72 scal T-80UM2 (Black Eagle) MBT

Post by splash »

update this kit represents the early prototype that had the new turret fitted to a T-80 body the later Black Eagle has 7 road wheels this kit only has 6

This unusual tank caught my eye with its very flat auto-loading turret and sinister looks.

The instructions are in black and white but give you very little information about the actual vehicle but do give you easy to follow assembly diagrams.

A quick search on internet turn up the original was a prototype using a stretched T-80 and was started in 1990 but cancelled in 2002 due to financial problems and poor performance of ithe T-80 that it’s based on. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eagle_(tank)

As you can see the kit is comprehensive and well moulded with crisp detail and contains PE plus a brass barrel and what looks like a generic set of decals that the company uses in several of their kits, which is a bonus as this kit doesn’t need any of the decals.

At £14.99 in the UK I would say it’s good value for money.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Modelcollect 1/72 scal T-80UM2 (Black Eagle) MBT

Post by 59North »

Thank you for the fine in-box. That looks like a lot of parts. It looks very detailed, and I suspect not a quick build. ModelCollect seems to make nice stuff, though.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I somehow missed this review and this is indeed a great looking, if a little sinister, MBT. I don't know a great deal about this vehicle except that I believe it is a gas turbine powered tank along the lines of the M-1 Abrams although the T-80's engine is a multi-fuel affair whereas I think the Abrams' unit only burns kerosene. This is another excellent looking kit from Modelcollect and thanks for the viewing, Alan.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

I too had not come across this review until now. Well done for sharing it Alan, and I really will have to seek out what their offerings are and see about an addition/acquisition of some sort.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have enjoyed this build the kit goes together with no problems and the addition of the PE is a nice touch, the only fly in the ointment is that it’s the very early 6 wheel prototype not the later 7 wheel version that might have gone into production if the manufacturer had not gone bust.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “In-Box reviews”