1/72 Scale Matchbox Lightning T.55 (PK 126)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/72 Scale Matchbox Lightning T.55 (PK 126)

Post by Saxon »

I built this kit as a kid and did a foul job on it. Glue everywhere and did hit that by spray painting it black and putting Soviet stars on it of all things! So when I saw it on KingKit a few years back I decided I wanted to do a decent job of building it.

I have just started it now!

The kit has 63 pieces, fine raised panel lines. This was actually the first thing I noticed about the kit. It does not have that distinct Matchbox feel to it (No mad trencher for a start!) but also the plastic is finer more like Hasegawa really. But it is a Matchbox kit all the same.

The kit comes with the choice of Red Top or Fire Streak missiles, wingtop fuel tanks, arrestor hook, refuelling probe and Saudi or Kuwaiti Air Force Decals both circa 1970.

Basic Cockpit, just a tub, control sticks and pilot figures. Doesn't bother me one bit!

The fit issues I have had so far have been the wings to fuselage, because of a slight curve in the wing (or just poor engineering) there is a slight gap which is easily filled with white glue or putty if you prefer.

You have to be careful with the main landing gear as they are quite spindly and once you put weight in the nose it just makes it worse. But I superglued mine on with accelerant and it seems fine.

I like the addition of the refuelling probe and over wing fuel tanks for something different and for the time I am thinking any model with something on top of the wings would have been a novelty for the kiddies. It is probably why I picked it up as a kid actually!

Quite a nice kit really but I would not recommend it for kids, when I have finished it I will finally start posting some pics on here!
ian lanc
Active Participant

Re: 1/72 Scale Matchbox Lightning T.55 (PK 126)

Post by ian lanc »

Sprue shots would be good :-]
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

ian lanc wrote:Sprue shots would be good :-]
Sorry missed this when you posted back in Sept!

I built the kit and then on the spur of the moment decided to write a review so, sorry, no sprue shots.

Here are some shots and another review from another site though..

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet ... /pk126.htm;
ian lanc
Active Participant

Post by ian lanc »

Thanks for the link Saxon.

Chasing up all Lightning kits at the moment and the T55 is top on my list.

Ian.

Return to “In-Box reviews”