Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.6 New Tool

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.6 New Tool

Post by iggie »

Fresh out of the delivery man's hands, this is the latest (and last I think...) of the 2018 New Tools to arrive chez iggie.
The box is the now standard top opening lid and tray affair, certainly strong enough to survive a few months (or years in my case :shock: ) in the stash, unlike of course our old friends Revell, whose boxes must think themselves lucky to make it out of the factory intact! C'mon Revell; Get A Grip!!
Sorry, I digress! :grin: Back to the topic at hand: We have the usual two & three tone instructions, with 63 stages (!!) for a total of 116 parts. In addition there are two A3 sheets of full colour glossy painting instructions, illustrating the three schemes catered for within the box. The decals are the usual high quality, with everything in register and what looks like good colour opacity.
The parts themselves are on three large sprues of light grey styrene, and one of clear. No flash is evident, and a cursory look doesn't throw up any embarrassingly positioned ejector pin marks or sink holes ( I have to admit I haven't gone over it with a magnifying glass though!). In my box, the nose cone has become detached from the sprue, and also the large section of canopy glazing and a couple of other smaller clear parts hence not opening the bag they were contained in.
Panel lines are nicely done; narrower and more refined than some seen recently on some 1/72 toolings (I'm thinking the Me 262 here...) and even some other recent Airfix 1/48 kits. They will certainly look good under airbrushed paint, but brush applied paint may fill them a bit too much.
The instructions offer a few options in addition to the usual wheels up/down; there are two bang seat infills (crew in or out I guess although no pilot figure is included), flaps can be deployed or not and the air brake lowered or not. There is also intake trunking to fill that annoying hole behind the intake on each side :-D
Not being a builder of 1/48 kits, I cannot comment as to how this compares to any other 1/48 Hunters there may be out there from other manufacturers; however it looks pretty good to me, and is certainly Hunter shaped.

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.6 New Tool

Post by beany »

Excellent review Jim, many thanks for taking the time. I've never been a huge fan of the Hunter but I do like the look of that kit. These days I think the colour sheet paint plans Airfix include can almost sell the kit on their own - they have certainly attracted me to this one. Kudos also to Airfix for the none detailed seat option (although an accompanying pilot would have been nice but I can soon get one from another kit). It grinds my gears when you get a beautifully detailed seat with belts and whatnot, only to then have to scrape them off when you want to put Johnny Pilot in the office for that build - as I often do.
I'll bide my time and wait for a decent price but can well see me getting one of these eventually.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers for the review, it looks like a nice kit.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for the review, Jim and it looks to be a decent quarter scale Hunter to me. The moulded on seat belts actually look reasonable and should paint up OK - the seat devoid of belts could also be looked upon as being a blank for the application of aftermarket belts, certainly it will save the usual hassle of scraping off the moulded belts and then tidying up the seat afterwards.

From what I can see here, the kit gets a thumbs up from me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “In-Box reviews”