Das Werk Faun L-900 and SdAh 115

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Das Werk Faun L-900 and SdAh 115

Post by iggie »

The Faun was one of the heaviest German trucks in service at the time. It weighed 8,800 kilograms and was 9.8 meters long, 2.5 meters wide, and 2.6 meters high. It required a crew of only one, that being the driver. It was powered by a 1,501 hp Deutz F6M5171 diesel engine, and could carry a total cargo load of up to 9 tons. The Faun could carry up two small tanks at a time using the SdAh 115 trailer. Later in the war, as heavier tanks became more common the Faun L-900 was used mostly by engineer companies and maintenance units.
The kit is an entirely new tooling produced by an entirely new manufacturer Das Werk, who are a joint venture between Uschi van der Rosten and MBK Distribution.
The kit arrives in a reasonably sturdy box with some beautiful artwork on the top and various illustrations of the lorry and trailer and the schemes included.
Inside you will find 9 sprues of apparently very nicely moulded grey parts, one of (very) clear parts, two packs of vinyl tyres, 6 lengths of brass rod, a small sheet of decals and two glossy instruction books.
All parts are clear of flash and do not appear to suffer from any obtrusive ejector marks. The wood grain effect on the wooden decking and side panels looks very nicely done indeed. The tyres are again very nicely moulded, with none of the often seen central flash and great detail on the side walls. They should look great with some dirt ingrained into the tread.
There are a range of options available during the build which are adequately explained in the instructions; most revolve around the intended loading of the vehicles and include optional spring and suspension parts.
Talking of instructions, they look to be very clear and easy to follow and vaguely reminiscent of Wingnut Wings products. There are also a lot of those square logos with black dots all over them which apparently link to explanatory videos for even greater detail about certain aspects of the assembly at some stages.
Overall this looks to be a high quality product and with careful painting and weathering will produce an eye catching and unusual model.

Image[/url]

[url=https://postimages.org/]
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Re: Das Werk Faun L-900 and SdAh 115

Post by 59North »

An excellent review! Thank you.
With this, I can now say I've heard of this vehicle. Just couldn't say that before. I
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thank you, well presented.

This certainly looks like a great kit -- very detailed and complete with excellent instructions to illustrate the operational aspects/options of the truck and trailer. There is a whole lot about research, communication, and not skrimping that lots of manufacturers could learn from.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks for an excellent review.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Great review good stuff
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That looks like a cracking kit with excellent instructions.

Nigel

Return to “In-Box reviews”