Revell Halifax B1/ 11 GR11

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Gregers
Forum founder

Revell Halifax B1/ 11 GR11

Post by Gregers »

Maker. Revell
Type Revell Halifax B1/ 11 GR11
Decal options 2
Price (UK) £19.99

On first sight this looks like a big box for an aircraft the size of the Halifax, and indeed there is some space left in the box bit this doesn't mean you are not getting you're monies worth. What you get is a fairly comprehensive kit with parts to make almost every variant of the B1 and B11 versions of this iconic aircraft. Looking at the parts breakdown I would guess that the later B111 could be made with a new sprue for the engines and necels There are parts for the towing hitch for glider tug versions (MKV) but this should be omitted as the kit versions would not carry this.
The Aforementioned engines. hmmm, to put it simply they are too wide and correcting them would be quite major surgery. There are three and four blade propellers but the blades are the wrong shape being too broad. sanding them to shape would be possible but would be tedious. Both types of fin and rudder are provided and the big bonus is that there are no less than SIX gun turrets provided so the spares box will be well stocked. Also the glazed nose is on the sprue and is needed for the GR11 version. Now the glaring error.
All in all apart from the errors mentioned I would say that this is a damn fine kit and should build into a great model even OOB. Mine will probably be built as the prototype.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
MerlinJones

Re: Revell Halifax B1/ 11 GR11

Post by MerlinJones »

"Also the glazed nose is on the sprue and is needed for the GR11 version. Now the glaring error."

What's the glaring error?

Regards,
Bruce
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sorry Bruce. messed that up in a re type. I was supposed to edit that out I was referring to the engines when I typed it but re wrote the review as at first read it seemed a little harsh on what is indeed a very nice kit.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Gregers wrote:I was referring to the engines when I typed it.

Greg
Happy Christmas Greg,

I'm still a bit confused. Reading your initial post, you seem to be saying that the engine cowlings are too wide. If so, by how much - and to what have you compared them? You also mention the shape of the prop blades, which has been mentioned by others.

I'm not deliberately trying to be argumentative, but please enlighten me :???:

regards,

Martin

PS I've been caressing the sprues this evening as I got one for Christmas, so I'm definitely interested.

PPS Does the shape of the H2S bulge seem a bit 'odd'. By 'odd' I meant too pointed at the rear. Should it really come to a point?

PPPS Again I'm not trying to shoot down the kit. I fully intend to build it early in the New Year - and I'm really hoping they bring out a Hercules engined version!
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

I don't have one of these kits myself, but I think comparisons have been made with the Granger drawings, that are generally held to be pretty good. From the sprue shots that I have seen and in comparison with the Granger drawings and photos it is pretty clear that the kit supplied props (three and four blade) are not representative of those fitted to the Halifax.

peebeep
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Folks.
The engines looked a little wide when I saw pictures of revells build up and I asked a few questions from someone who has worked on the real thing as knows whats what about them. He said the math has been done and they are too side by approx six scale inches both sides (From up scaling the models parts and measuring the rocker cover of a real Merlin) The props are a basic shape and not tapered outwards from the root like the real thing with the four blade unit looking more like the ones from a P51K Mustang. I'll dig my Halifax book out and check on the H2S.
Hope this helps.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

There are some good pictures of the pointed propellor blades at this site:

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.co ... indisi.htm

The Revell and Hasegawa Lancasters each contain both the paddle bladed and pointed props. The pointed blade props should be suitable for the Halifax and there are probably a fair number floating around in the spares boxes of those who used the paddle blade props.

The Revell 3-Blade Halifax props also look like they would be fine on the Hercules-engined Mk.III.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Question for those 'in the know'...

Both Revell new-tool Lancaster and Halifax have (relatively) serious errors in them. Does their B-17 suffer the same fate?

Regards,
Bruce
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

MerlinJones wrote:Question for those 'in the know'...

Both Revell new-tool Lancaster and Halifax have (relatively) serious errors in them. Does their B-17 suffer the same fate?

Regards,
Bruce
The only complaints I've heard about are the escessive width of the panel lines. I have the kit and I can see how the panel lines could be too prominent for some, especially under a natural metal finish.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I would say that the B-17 is the best of the three kits. The Halifax looks pretty good and the props can be whittled down or replaced. The Lanc needs the most work, but is not to be written off. Luckily I have a few spare parts to replace the dubious ones.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”