Special Hobby Boulton Paul Sea Balliol T21.

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Gregers
Forum founder

Special Hobby Boulton Paul Sea Balliol T21.

Post by Gregers »

A little background on the Balliol to start with. Just after WW2 the Air Ministry declared a need for a replacement for the venerable old Havard. The requirement was for a three seat training aircraft with a turbo prop engine. The specification was later amended to have two seats and a Merlin engine. Thus the Balliol became powered by the Merlin. It equipped the RAF and Fleet Air Arm as an advanced trainer with the naval version having folding wings and arrestor hook.

The kit.
What a beauty. I have been wanting a Balliol in my collection for years ever since seeing one for the first time in Aeroplane monthly magazine when I was a child. There was something about the ugly workmanlike lines of the aircraft that appealed to my young brain. Plus it has a 'Spitfire engine' Much coolness there. The kit has 42 injection molded parts in grey. 7 in clear. a very nice photo etch sheet with some very fine parts (Tweezers and magnifying glass at the ready) some very well done resin parts for interior details like the seats, control columns and controls etc (One of my control columns is broken though but is repairable) a folm for the instrument panel and lastly a decal sheet for four different aircraft. pictures will follow shortly.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “In-Box reviews”