Welsh whichModels 1/144 Vickers Valiant B1 #PJW 66 P

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Welsh whichModels 1/144 Vickers Valiant B1 #PJW 66 P

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is Welsh Models' later release of their Valiant B1 which replaces the vacform wings (often the trickiest parts to prepare) and tailplane with pressure moulded resin parts.

The fuselage parts are fine, not much detail but then the fuselage is quite featureless anyway. The crew entry door is moulded recessed like the cabin windows, presumably to make it easier to cut out, but will need filling and rescribing if you take the more likely route of leaving it closed.

The undercarriage parts have been updated since the first release though when I checked the nose wheel, the original came with one wheel mould separately, now as an all in one piece I think it is a little less refined. The original card doors are supplied though they have some very nice thin w/m replacements. The wing fences are also suitably thin w/m but it maybe easier to use them as a template can cut some new one from card.

The wings tailplane and wing tanks are all moulded in a hard grey resin. Just the main panel and control surface lines being engraved. This is fine as I think added every panel hatch at this small scale looks far too busy. The resin has a rather rough texture and all the pieces will benefit from a light sand before assembly. On the plus side though all the parts have been already separated from their pouring stubs for you.

As the each wing is moulded in one piece the intakes though well formed are not as deep as I would like and so a little drilling and filing may be in order. Similarly thinning the exhausts (like on a lot of kits) will add a little finesse.

The decal sheet it very comprehensive and practically covers every anti-flash white Valiant you could hope to do. The instructions provide at least a dozen choices. Kit PJW 67 P has the camo'd schemes and PJW 65 P the early silver. The decals themselves have been printed on an old ALPS printer and therefore the colours are dithered, most noticeable on the roundels. Model Art did do a sheet of pale roundels and lettering if you can get hold of one (or two ;-) ).

I have both this release which I got the reduced from Hannants and the original all vacform kit, the later is still available from Welsh Models and is somewhat cheaper. However the resin parts do replace some of the most tricky parts of vacform modelling and should make this a relatively straightforward build. The all vacform kit will I have get cut up to make the prescient low-level B2 'Black Bomber'.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Welsh whichModels 1/144 Vickers Valiant B1 #PJW 66 P

Post by Chuck E »

Now that looks superb. I have the all-vacuformed model. I have a lot of Welsh Model's resin parts and they are very good.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”