New Tool Airfix Douglas A-4B4P Skyhawk

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

New Tool Airfix Douglas A-4B4P Skyhawk

Post by bluesteel »

In not an expert on Skyhawk dimensions so can't give any views as to accuracy, but to my eye it looks like a Skyhawk a good little kit overall - in the sane vein of the recent Airfix re-tool releases.

It has a reasonably detailed cockpit with a four piece ejector seat and instrument decals. As it has a two piece canopy, if displayed open, there will be scope for scratch for after-market detail for those so inclined, but should look OK straight from the box too.

The panel lines are a little trench like, on a par with the Sabre, especially on the fuselage. The u/c bays are nicely detailed as are the engine inlet and exhaust outlet. There is a good looking pilot figure (hooray!), but mine appears to be disabled as he's lost his right foot!

A decent range of under-wing tanks and ordnance are supplied, but I believe some Falklands after-market accessories are already available from Freighdog Models.

Schemes and decals are supplied for a US Nary Skyhawk VA-96 "Green Lizards", USS Intrepid, 1966 in Grey and White, and for a Falklands War Argentine Skyhawk from Grupo 5 de Caza, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, Rio Gallegos, April 1982 in Camo. The decals are in register and nicely done.

After a little frotter, one area to watch out for is removing the fuselage from the sprue, as the attachments are rather solid and might need a small razor saw, especially for the one attached to the fin if you don't want to have to resort to filler afterwards, as I'll need to do now!

Overall I'm reasonably impressed as it's a definite improvement over the old tool Skyhawk. I'll go onto my build sooner than later list...

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
did_nev
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: New Tool Airfix Douglas A-4B4P Skyhawk

Post by did_nev »

I really really really want one.....

I like the extended slats feature on this one! The only thing that I feel is a bit less attractive, is the rather plain paintscheme Airfix has chosen for the US Navy example.
But is does look nice!!!
2012 A:02 B:29 C:00

On the bench : Buccaneer // B-52D // 1/48 Lancaster
Coming up : Spitfire XIV (SKGB)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

The aftermarket is your friend, for different decals.
I believe that there's a suitable set out by Xtradecal.

REgards,
Bruce
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Great stuff. I need a mess of these.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

This is a must get kit. Must get multiple ones... ;-) :razz:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

did_nev wrote:I really really really want one.....

I like the extended slats feature on this one! The only thing that I feel is a bit less attractive, is the rather plain paintscheme Airfix has chosen for the US Navy example.
But is does look nice!!!
I have to say that I always thought the grey and white scheme very attractive- horses for courses! ;-)
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
did_nev
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by did_nev »

bobblelink wrote:I have to say that I always thought the grey and white scheme very attractive- horses for courses! ;-)
The grey and white is not the problem, the lack of some striking squadron-colours (except the green lizard on the sides then) is what I mean...

something like this:

or this

But that's my opinion ;-)
2012 A:02 B:29 C:00

On the bench : Buccaneer // B-52D // 1/48 Lancaster
Coming up : Spitfire XIV (SKGB)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

A note to builders :

The red warning flashes need to be cut out and the upper and lower pieces added later and then painted in, otherwise they curve around the intakes too much.

The inner red lines also need to be trimmed for length.

Very nice model and a nice build. Mine is very nearly there now.
So many models, so little time.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Chuck E wrote:A note to builders :

The red warning flashes need to be cut out and the upper and lower pieces added later and then painted in, otherwise they curve around the intakes too much.

The inner red lines also need to be trimmed for length.
I agree Chuck I painted the red around the intake and as you said cut the red warning flashes off and added them over the painted red.

I found the kit to be a most enjoyable build with no real problems and with a very light post shade to break up the grey it looks the part.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Lovely Scooter, Alan.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

That is really nice!
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Sweet build Flash
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

That US scheme is on the aircraft on display on the USS Intrepid, which is now in New York, preserved as a museum. The Airfix team visited it to measure up for this kit ( it represents an A-4b after a number of in service mods, not an original A-4b as delivered from the factory).
Graham visited it in November with his grandparents. Wish I had been able to go...
There's also the Space Shuttle Enterprise, and a submarine, USS Growler. The guide who showed them round the Growler turned out to be a retired former Captain of the sub. Talk about knowledgeable guides... :)
Up in the Great White North
jvenables
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by jvenables »

Can anyone tell me if the USN example given is for the Vietnam war? I have tried to research this and found that VA-95 saw action over Vietnam in 1966 but I have been unable to confirm that the specific example offered by Airfix was one such aircraft. I am almost convinced that it is, but would like some confirmation.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Hi jvenables.

I have found this link which shows that in 1966-7 VA95 deployed to SEA with the A-4B.

http://a4skyhawk.org/3e/va95/va95.htm;

Appears a safe assumption that the Airfix markings are for a SEA deployment bird. I also found a flight deck picture taken from the crows nest showing that very A-4 with the slanted AK on the wing. Thought at first Airfix hosed it. They indeed got it right.

Hope this helps you out.

Return to “In-Box reviews”