PitRoad (Great Wall Hobbies) 1/144 Avro Vulcan B.2

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

PitRoad (Great Wall Hobbies) 1/144 Avro Vulcan B.2

Post by JamesPerrin »

Let the bells ring out, for Christmas has come early for 1/144 scale fans. PitRoad/Great Wall Hobbies have released an injection moulded Avro Vulcan. :-D On announcement I immediate ordered mine from HLJ without checking if the value would incur the wrath of import duty...an extra £12 the poorer I now have it and not going to worry about trivial things like money. There have been stepping stones to get here, Welsh Models ye olde vacform and later resin update, Wolfpack's very nice resin kit as built by our own BLJ, a slight detour for Cyber Hobby's 'good but could do better' 1/200 kit. The latter is a nice size if you don't have much room as even in 1/144 scale the Vulcan takes a reasonable amount of shelf.

The box is double decker, with the lower fuselage and sprue sitting on a raised shelf. The lower part contains the rest of the parts. The upper fuselage getting the full kid gloves treatment. Despite this the very tip of one wing was bent, easy to fix.

The main parts didn't stay long in the packaging. I'm guessing (like the TSR 2?) the kit will also be available prebuilt. To this end there a host of snap fit tight location pin in the fuselage and wings. Some are a bit too tight and you will get the parts closed without clamping if you loosen them up. You then get an immaculate join. It seems to disappear as you squeeze the parts together, amazing engineering at least on a par with their superb TSR 2 kit.

Separate bomb bay insert suggest a Blue Steel option could be available later.

The panel lines are excellent as good as you would want on a plastic model - I've seen finer in resin but they can too easily disappear. Finer that the CH effort which looked a bit overdone.

Fear not the intakes, they have been slide mould in one piece! :grin:

The jet pipes are also slide moulded too though I can't quite work out why.

I've not checked the shape with plans or picture but the shape of the nose looks a lot better than CH's. The only thing it is missing is a boarding ladder which was a nice touch in CH's kit.

The kits options are limited as the model represents the Vulcan on is heroic Black Buck raids, two options only differing in the serials for XM607 and XM507. A couple of nice Shrikes and jammer pod are included and the later tail with the radar warning receivers.

I would have liked to see the option for a more usual service machine and this may be the subject of a later release. I'll just mod mine to something that takes my fancy.

Another triumph from Pitroad who have probably stolen my kit of the year nod again. It would be nice to think that they will do a Victor and Valiant but I'm not going to hold my breath. The Vulcan stands out as an iconic aircraft much more than either of the other V bombers (personally I prefer the Victor :twisted: ) and is the more logical choice for kitting.

There are also more pictures here http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10195496; showing the instructions etc.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: PitRoad (Great Wall Hobbies) 1/144 Avro Vulcan B.2

Post by mattbacon »

Looks great. Methinks I'll treat Jack to one at SMW...
Bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yes reading the latest SAMI, the Airbrush Company who import GWH kits should have some on their stand.
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Oooooooooooo that looks nice. I want one now about the only way ill ever be able to get a Vulcan in reason (72nd on is to big for me :sad: ) Is the only way to get it to import it atm??
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

That does look rather splendid, James and, although pricey, is more accessable than the resin Wolfpack kit.
I'm sure this, rather than previous kits, will prompt the aftermarket to provide.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Motley wrote:Oooooooooooo that looks nice. I want one now about the only way ill ever be able to get a Vulcan in reason (72nd on is to big for me :sad: ) Is the only way to get it to import it atm??
The Airbrush Company are the UK importers for Great Wall kits, no one including the editor of SAMI seem to know exactly how they are related to PitRoad, but the same kit images have appeared under the Great Wall banner. So hopefully you might be able to get one in a few weeks. PitRoad unfortunately don't seem to have a UK importer.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Hobby Link Japan offer a respectable service and their useful P&P becomes more economical if you take advantage of this and buy more exclusive goodies. ;-)

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:Hobby Link Japan offer a respectable service and their useful P&P becomes more economical if you take advantage of this and buy more exclusive goodies. ;-)
I think he was probably trying to avoid the import duty and handling charge I got slapped with. :frown:
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

James is right, would rather avoid paying out more but may have a look and see if there is antyhign else worth causing the each cost or just wait and hope that they are released over here :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

o_O
I want this kit

Return to “In-Box reviews”