S & M 1/144 Vickers Viscount 800

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

S & M 1/144 Vickers Viscount 800

Post by JamesPerrin »

Three injection moulded sprues in white plastic, individually bagged. No flash, sink or ejector marks spoiling the parts. Fuselage and wings have locating pins. Surface detail is confined to control surfaces which is fine at this scale. There are no lines for windows or doors however as these are supplied as decals. The flying surfaces are a little chunky and could do with thinning down as are the prop blades. (I've read that someone did supply PE props for this kit.). Engine fronts, spinners, wheels, under carriage legs and doors are supplied as individual items. Any fine details such as aerials will need to be scratch built.

A quick dry fit shows there is very good fit between the parts and very little filler should be needed. The wing and tailplane root are concave which helps to achieve the good fit. The tailplane tabs also ensure the correct dihedral. The undercarriage parts have a T shaped base which will locate them securely in place.

Decals, by TwoSix, are for Eagle Airways and contain the windows and door outlines. They look good with the tiny Union flags being in perfect register.

Instructions comprises of a single A4 sheet will a couple of well drawn exploded diagrams and some written text with colour and decal advice. The box art providing the markings scheme.

A simple kit that offers a quick and easy routine for the many markings worn by the distinctive Viscount in its successful history.

Bought from S&M for half price on ebay, RRP 10.20GBP
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: S & M 1/144 Vickers Viscount 800

Post by MDT »

Cheers for the review James - I was seriously tempted by one of this at a Model Shop near me but at £20+ I thought it was steep. Looks pretty decent though and the Vicount certainly a classic.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

Is it just the angle or are the fuselage halves different sizes?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Saxon wrote:Is it just the angle or are the fuselage halves different sizes?
Must be the angle, the parts are a very good fit. It would be a poor review if I'd failed to mention it! ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

It looks a nice simple build James. None came up on Ebay though, apart from pricey ones.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “In-Box reviews”