F-Toy Wing Kit 1/144 Hawker Sea Fury

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

F-Toy Wing Kit 1/144 Hawker Sea Fury

Post by PaulBradley »

Here's an interesting one I picked up recently:

F-Toy make a number of series of Gashapon models, the Wing Kit Collection being of interest to the aircraft enthusiast. While these are intended as toys, they are in effect mini kits, as you can see from this photo of the box contents:

Detil is quite good for a 1/144 model, with a basic interior included. The undercarriage is very fine, while a set of four rockets are included. There's even a miniature Bristol Centaurus, though not much of it will be seen once the prop is in place. Instructions are, of course, in Janapnese, though the diagrams are pretty self-expanatory.

The model is pre-painted - though there's no reason why you couldn't re-paint it should you so desire - but markings are in the form of stickers rather than decals. This will leave the serious modeller scrambling for options, though I understand there's a company in Australia that does a decal sheet for 1/144 RAN Sea Furies.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I have reservations about the shape and size of the fin and rudder, but otherwise, it is a good-looking little model. Aside from the stickers, I think this will be a nice build.

The thing about Gashapon models though is that they are 'mystery models' - you don't know which one of the models illustrated on the box is actually inside! Collection 6 includes 3 differently-marked Sea Furies, 3 Skyraiders and 3 Corsairs, plus a further mystery model that is not illustrated on the box - I believe it is a Cuban Sea Fury. Its an interesting idea and one that would, I suspect, have had a big impact on small boys across Britain when I was a lad - cetainly, this would have been better value for my pocket money that Trump Cards...!

I ordered mine pre-opened from Japan, so I knew I'd be getting what I wanted. Interestingly, the seller is based in Sendai, the city devastated by the tsunami, so someone is still doing business from there and hopefully, life is slowly returning to some sort of normalcy there.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: F-Toy Wing Kit 1/144 Hawker Sea Fury

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I won one of these on Evil :evil: Bay one time but after reading the add for a forth time I realized it was a pre-painted toy and I cancled the item. But from what i can see here and what you've said they are little kits. Maybe they are worth a look. :???:
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

Thanks Paul, I had forgotten about this. I'll make my way over to E-bay to get one.

The F-Toys Lancaster and Spitfire are the best examples in the scale and honestly none should be dismissed as toys.

Jim
Read my inane modeling writings at:
http://ascalecanadian.com
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yes, they are pre-painted, but they are certainly more sophisticated kits than many of the old 1/144 models you can buy. Worth a look, and just $6 each. HobbyLink Japan and 1999.co.jp both stock the whole F-Toy range, IIRC. Otherwise, EBay is your friend.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I'll have to check them out.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0