RS Models Junkers 86P and Ju 86R

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
KIWI
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

RS Models Junkers 86P and Ju 86R

Post by KIWI »

These aircraft in their day were I guess the U2 of the Luftwaffe . They initially operated in the high flying recce role with impunity , until specially lightened Spitfires managed to bring some down while flying at the very edge of their envelope . These Ju86's operated over Great Britain and also over the Med .
I have wanted to model these particular aircraft for a long time , I bought the Airmodel kit years ago , deciding this was better than trying to scratch build the complex canopy . I did not like the Airmodel vacform , and plan B , adding the vacform parts to an Italeri Ju86 , came to nought as the fuselage cross sections are not even close . So I am pleased to say these RS kits look as if they will do the job well . There are two kits , No 92077 is for the P and 92078 for the R . As with many RS kits you get basicly the same kit in each box but with the additional parts required for the relevant sub type . I do not have access to my references but from memory and what I see on the sprues I think RS have covered all the important details . These sub types have different spans , engine nacelles , radiators , glazing and propellors and all these details appear to be represented . I was pleased to see some interesting options in the colour schemes , for the P there are three standard European RLM 70 , 71 over 65 including one captured , aswell as one in 02 operating over the Med . For the R there is a mottled RLM 75 , 76 over 65 based in France , another operating from Greece in 79 over 65 , or another from the Russian front , in 02 toned down with white over 65 .

KIWI
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

RS Ju86 P and R part 2

Post by KIWI »

The plastic is like all the other RS kits , grey with a soft soapy feel , detail is lightly engraved and there is enough of it for my liking . The cockpit detail looks pretty comprehensive with an abundance of photo etch to occupy those who find this important . Fuselage comes in two halves as normal , while the wings come as three parts to the main planes , then you add the two part outer wings . The main planes underside is one piece and has the wheel well built in and appear to have adequate detail and depth .
I have not measured the kit and so I have no idea how accurate it is but it certainly looks the part to me .
I was at school with a boy who's father shot one of these down , which of course is why I have had this long time interest in this particular type .
Karaya
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: RS Models Junkers 86P and Ju 86R

Post by Karaya »

The P and R actually had turbo-charged Jumo 207 diesels with the P-1 variant being a high altitude bomber and the P-2 being the reconnaissance version. The R-1 and R-2 had the same roles but with further role specific modifications.
.....Sven W.
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by BlohmWolf »

Whooooah.

Are we in a jet, or does someone need a new camera?
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

That's interesting. Are you going to build it anytime soon?
I've never tried a RS Model kit, but have one in the stash I recently bought, Heinkel He 112B. It looks very nice.
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

I think it was -Ps that spied on the preparations for Alamein over the Nile delta till the specially modded Spitfire Vs from 103MU managed to deal to them. I'd like to get one of these & model it to go with a modded Spitfire but they've been a bit spendy, maybe time to look again.
Steve

Return to “In-Box reviews”