Esci Henscel 129 B 1/2/3 1/48 scale

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Esci Henscel 129 B 1/2/3 1/48 scale

Post by Spearjig »

Nice two part box, Im not sure how old Late 80's?

The kit comes in three spruces of nicely molded tan plastic. The details are raise but crisp with very little flash and no sink marks.

The kit shows its age with details that are spartan in the cockpit and missing in the wheel wells. Im not sure how much this matters in the cockpit as the canopy is molded shut and has small windows anyway. The wheel wells might be a bit more of a challenge.

Only one clear canopy that was not bagged up by itself but looks ok.

The instructions are printed on both sides of a poor quality piece of paper, giving a out line of the history of the aircraft and a 5 section build up followed by paint and markings for 5 luftwaffe aircraft,

1 for a B1 in over all dark green (8sch G 2)
1 for a B2/R2 (10 pz sg9)
1 for a B2/r3 (10 pz sg2
2 for a B3WA (IVpz sg9 ) all in dark green/black green splinter with yellow ID panels

The instructions are littered with symbols instructing you to paint cut glue ect , best just to write along side them what they actually mean

Decals look usable, (famous last words with Esci) dispute being slightly yellow and it does have a correction decal included.

Overall Id say that this is a perfectly reasonable kit despite its age. I heard that there is better ones out there but as far as In concerned its good enough for me and my ham fists
Boombox
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Esci Henscel 129 B 1/2/3 1/48 scale

Post by Boombox »

In my opinion the box with a crosshair on it doesnt look much good. But the 'made in Italy' is a good sign of quality, and that quality is seen.
bigfiver69
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bigfiver69 »

I think this kit came out in 1979, and in it's day was pretty state of the art.

I built this and the Feisler Storch in the early '80s. Both made up into very nice kits.
Currently on the bench: Airfix Gladiator and AModel Fury.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Personally, I think it was one of ESCI's best and holds up well today. All the 1/48th ESCI kits of the day had cross-haired box art. The decals ARE usable but the adhesive is weak. Future product holds them down very well.

Build and enjoy.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

A sparse cockpit is fine. The cockpit on this was so tight that the main instruments were mounted on the engine nacelles.
I have this one, to build, sometime.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

This was one of three models I built during a brief redalliance with modelling in 1981 - athe sole survivor: the Monogram Ju-87G was eaten by a puppy and the B-24J had its engine nacelles chewed off - and the only complete kit that I still have from my earlier modelling eras. I agree that it is a very good kit, with good detail for its time, including the exposed gunbays...definitely one I'd like to restore...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “In-Box reviews”