Matchbox Yakolev Yak-15 1/72 Matchbox

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Matchbox Yakolev Yak-15 1/72 Matchbox

Post by Spearjig »

To be honest I didn't know matchbox had done this and so bought it on evil bay.
Comes in a sturdy 2 part box.

And that's were the resemblance to a matchbox kit from my youth ends (almost).

The kit itself is molded in a silver plastic and to be honest the molds have seen better days, the intake and out take are rough and irregular and very thin. plenty of sink molds and fit is very loose at wing roots.

Image It has the best padded seat I have ever seen on a fighter yet lacks any other detail , for example the combing behind the seat and the canopy is only guessed at when it comes to meeting the fuselage!

Markings for one aircraft - unknown from Moscow and no description on the instructions , just on the box side. Decals by Revell.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Matchbox Yakolev Yak-15 1/72 Matchbox

Post by mattbacon »

...I don't think Matchbox did do this! I suspect that it's the PM kit reissued in a boxing that dates from the time that Revell owned the rights to the Matchbox name and design...

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Oh yes that's the PM kits alright, Matchbox never tooled anything that bad themselves!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

As James said. It's the PM kit with usable decals. I've got a couple of these t have a go at.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

Yechhh! This is (another of) Revell's attempts at getting the maximum mileage out of the Matchbox name! :-D

Cheers,

Asoka
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

I wouldn't knock PM kits too much. They do have some awful clunkers (Ta154 anyone) but they also have some nice, basic, easy kits as well. The Yak 15 is not bad.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

From that same period you will see various kits under the Matchbox label, quite a few of which did not originate with Matchbox moulds. There are a number of ex-FROG kits, for example (the ones that didn't go to Novo ...). In armour, you'll see a couple of (not very well done) tank kits in 1/72 (not MB's usual 1/76) -- they were new moulds, but really had nothing to do with MB. (I believe they originated with a Korean manufacturer called Ace Corporation -- no relation to the Eastern European company called Ace, who also do 1/72 armour ....)
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile

Return to “In-Box reviews”