Airfix 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 New Tool

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Airfix 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 New Tool

Post by bluesteel »

Looks very nice indeed and great value for money at £5.99. The panel lines are far more restrained than the earlier Airfix new tools and there's a lot of fine detail. There are two rear canopies of slightly different designs but only one scheme in the box. I assume the other canopy must be for the one that come in the Gift Set? I'm not normally into Luftwaffe fighters, but even I would be tempted to buy and build a few more of these.

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Airfix 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 New Tool

Post by Ian »

Nice. Very nice! I like that they have the new RLM paints on the instructions.
I will be building several of these.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Interesting parts break down. I remember when I first built Airfix's D is was noticeably more detailed than any of the other Airfix kits I had built up until that point. It too had wheel well detail! ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chris »

Airfix is really starting to battle the asian companies for top dog in the quality department.
Honcho of ASMMF
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

bluesteel wrote:The panel lines are far more restrained than the earlier Airfix new tools
... which has been true for the last 12+ months of releases, hasn't it? Maybe it's time to retire that particular review point. (Not a shot at you in particular bluesteel, but it's been bugging me for a little while. It seems like every reviewer of every Airfix aircraft kit has to make that particular point, as though it's a continual source of surprise.)
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

BWP wrote:
bluesteel wrote:The panel lines are far more restrained than the earlier Airfix new tools
... which has been true for the last 12+ months of releases, hasn't it? Maybe it's time to retire that particular review point. (Not a shot at you in particular bluesteel, but it's been bugging me for a little while. It seems like every reviewer of every Airfix aircraft kit has to make that particular point, as though it's a continual source of surprise.)
Quite right Bruce. It's so difficult to find issues with Airfix new releases now we have to hark back to older ones :lol:

But it does seem that they are now well through the trench phase and it can be consigned to history.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

There are STILL some people on other forums who can't resist having a dig at some aspect of Airfix - whether its their quality, pricing or whatever.

I really think it is a very British trait to continue rubbishing one's own country's product.

Frankly, I'm rather tired of it now.

I think Airfix are now producing wonderful stuff and long may they continue to do so.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Eric Mc wrote:I really think it is a very British trait to continue rubbishing one's own country's product.
I don't think this is a "British" thing at all. I've seen many of the same comments coming from many different nationalities. Even people who are praising the kits overall are still getting in digs about the panel lines. It's more like ... some people just grew accustomed to disappointment from Airfix releases over several years (not without cause) and just can't seem to accept that Hornby have been listening to the complaints and making improvements. "They were bad then, so they must still be bad now."

A more valid cause for concern is some of those sprue gates. In just this kit compare the attachment points of the propeller to those of the cowling ring. Hard to believe they're both from the same kit.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

BWP wrote: A more valid cause for concern is some of those sprue gates.
IMHO Bruce has hit the nail squarely on the head. I have built two new tool kits, namely, the 109E and Spitfire Mk I/IIa and my main criticism of both kits, but in particular the 109, would be the size and strength of the bloody sprue gates. I would describe myself as being an experienced modeller and therefore well versed in the careful removal of parts from sprues. I don't think I've lost/damaged/broken as many parts removing them from the sprues since I was a kid as I did building those two kits. Youngsters and/or inexperienced adult modellers may struggle I fear and I did hope this aspect would be something that Airfix would address.

Otherwise, the FW-190 looks to be a great kit (except that it's a FW-190 and I don't think that the modelling world needs another kit of this aircraft, but that's just my humble opinion so don't jump at me chaps!)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I've already read one criticism of the Fw190. The wing and tailplane trailing edges are too thick - apparently.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I agree that the sprue gates are the main issue now. Otherwise they seem to have everything else in order. I'm not that interested in Luftwaffe subjects, but this kit will probably sell in greater numbers than any other Fw190, at least in the British market :)

Now can we please have a new tool Spitfire Vc, as an adversary :grin:

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Eric Mc wrote:I've already read one criticism of the Fw190. The wing and tailplane trailing edges are too thick - apparently.
Eric,

I have the kit and I too read that comment. I hadn't noticed anything on my initial sprue frotter, so I immediately went back and looked. I tend to agree with the comment; the trailing edges of the wing (in particular) are quite thick. This may be related to the fact that the ailerons are moulded fully on one half of the wings and the flaps on another.

Is this a dealbreaker? No. But it was a surprise to me after building their delightful Typhoon. Some sanding should improve things somewhat, but it's likely that the nice surface detail on the ailerons will be lost. The person posting the comments that I read (who was actually building the kit at the time) said that by sanding the flaps down, he caused a mismatch between the flaps and the appropriate bit of the fuselage centre section. Given how tight Airfix tolerances are, I can believe this.

The sprue gates on the cowling ring are also thick (although gates on some other parts are thinner).

So, I like the kit and I do plan to build it soon, but please take note, Airfix, of these relatively minor criticisms and continue to improve for when the Beaufighter is launched.

regards,

Martin
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Looks fantastic - you just cannot go wrong for £5.99 Thanks for posting the photos.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Started this one last night..... :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “In-Box reviews”