Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise NX-01 REFIT Snapkit

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise NX-01 REFIT Snapkit

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

If you are a Scifi person and are looking for something different this could be just what you're looking for. Round 2 has been reissuing and adding kits to the market at a pretty nice pace but this could be one of the most exciting. Why, you might ask? Well because its something new. Its not an old kit reboxed, or an existing kit made into a new scale which are all good things don't get me wrong. The unique and exciting thing about this kit is that it is a new ship never seen before. It never appeared in any Star Trek movie or TV series.

This ship was designed by Doug Drexler. The concept behind it was to show the continued evolution of the Starship Enterprise from the NX-01 (Seen in the TV series Enterprise to the Enterprise E seen in the movies Insurrection and Nemesis. I believe that this would have been on the TV show had they lasted for a 5th season. In this kit you can start to see the path to the original series Constellation Enterprise NCC-1701.

The other cool thing about this kit is with it you can build either the original NX-01 or you can build the new NX-01 REFIT kit with the secondary hull.

Now most of the parts in this kit come from the kit seen below released in 2008 with the addition of new parts for the secondary hull and some expanded clear parts that the original kid never had. I have the 2008 kit as well but have not opened it but from what I've read lighting it was difficult because the parts for the engines were all solid plastic where the new kit has clear parts for the engines. Of course this allows builders new options they didn't have before.

Lets take a look at this kit shall we???

The Box

The box art for this kit is fantastic. Every surface of the cover and bottom box are covered with glossy pictures

Another thing you may like about the new Round2 boxing's is that they have a smaller foot print. The old kit boxes were so large and the parts just rattled around in the box. When you opened the box you almost felt disappointed because it looked empty inside. The new boxes are now filled to the top and best of all they take up less space on your shelves which means you can buy more kits.

The Parts

I'm not going to blow smoke up your back side and say theses are the best parts i've ever seen before but the main parts are nice.

Secondary hull parts

The Clear Parts

The warp nacelle inserts

These are the sides for the saucer section

The solid nacelle parts

The decals

Compared to all the other Round2 kits this kit doesn't have the amount of decals of even the tiny 2500 cadet series kits. They do give you an option to build two different kits. The Enterprise and the Columbia but no Aztec decals. I'm sure there will be some available through aftermarket outlets soon

The overall size of this kit whn done will be approximately 9 inches

The Directions

The directions are simple and straight forward

The colors for the Refit are different from the NX-01. The NX-01 should be painted in metal colors where as this kit (refit) takes the step toward the light grays for the hulls.

Well that's about it for this review. I think the original NX in metals next to the refit in grays would make a great display.

I wasn't planning on building this right away but after going through the kit again for this review I think I may change my mind. If you want to see more on this kit visit my youtube channel for the video review

Well thanks for looking
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise NX-01 REFIT Snapkit

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks for the review, Dirk.

I'd not heard about the refit version before - it's a shame it didn't make it onto our TV screens. I liked where Enterprise was going, and was very disappointed that it was cancelled.

Back to the kit - the panel lines look a bit deep and soft. Bit like an old AMT kit.

I have the big Nx-01 that PL released about 10 years ago - bit scared to build it, to be honest!!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Excellent review, Dirk!

Paul, Polar Lights (before it was absorbed into Round 2) appears to have been one of those companies that had an "A" team and a "B" team. The "A" team did their excellent 1/1000 TOS Enterprise and Klingon D-7 kits, as well as the 1/350 Enterprise (refit). The "B" team did the NX-01 in 1/1000 and 1/350. Then they hired a "C" team to do the "Scorpion" from Nemesis.

Round 2 have been doing some excellent stuff with their various Star Trek kits. Unfortunately for me the local distributor makes them staggeringly expensive here in the shops, or I can import them from the US with equally-staggering shipping costs. What a choice. :(
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Yes, and postage costs are likely to go up AGAIN shortly..... :evil: Still, that's another topic.....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I feel your pain guys. Although it may not be on the same extreme as you guys I'm disappointed that I can't get the new-er Voyager and JJ Enterprise because they are not being imported to the states directly.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

Great review,Dirk! Always good to see what's in the box and especially when described in such detail. It's great to see companies like Round 2 and Pegasus taking a punt on high risk subjects like this and other speculative science fiction subjects. 1/1000 is probably a good scale for it as well: big enough not show some nice detail but small enough to remain affordable and easy to display....
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “In-Box reviews”