Pyro Ark Royal 1587

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Pyro Ark Royal 1587

Post by AndrewR »

The Pyro kit dates from 1966, and is one of a quite extensive series of ships from the Age of Sail and the Age of Steam.

The box is not that large, and the model looks like it will be about 20 cm (8 inches) long when it's built. There are 4 sprues of a hard white shiny plastic, a one page instruction sheet (with the same instructions on both sides! ) and that's it.

In my boxing, one part of the hull was detached from the sprues, and everything else was intact.

There is quite nice raised detail on the outside, with the gaps between the planks being engraved, although not particularly delicately! It's a full hull model, and so a stand and nameplate are provided in the set. There are a few ejector pin marks which need to be removed, particularly on the sides of the cannon, but not much flash.

I'm really not convinced about those cupolas on either side, they strike me as an ostentation unlikely to be on English ships of the period

As usual the shrouds and ratlines are dramatically overscale. I think that I'll replace most of those with something a little thinner.

The main plastic related issue I have is that one of the top lasts is seriously bent, and may have been in that banana pose since 1966... :omg I think replacing it with some plastic rod, and a thinner standard (Actually it's a "Jack" as it's on one of Her Majesty's Ships). I also think that portraying the ship on a stand with sails furled will be better than with those big thick moulded sails.

The paintwork will be challenging, there are lots of sharp demarcation lines on the sides of the hull, but it should be interesting. I'm looking forward to this, although I've no idea when it'll get built!

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Pyro Ark Royal 1587

Post by fredk »

A painting of 1590 plus an engraving made about the same period, perhaps 1587 but definately pre-1608, both show these odd turrets. The engraving shows them smaller than the painting does, but both show them large. The model ones seem to be about twice as wide and slightly taller than the ones in the engraving. They also appear to be more of an octogon shape and not round as on the model.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... l-1587.jpg;
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

fredk wrote:A painting of 1590 plus an engraving made about the same period, perhaps 1587 but definately pre-1608, both show these odd turrets. The engraving shows them smaller than the painting does, but both show them large. The model ones seem to be about twice as wide and slightly taller than the ones in the engraving. They also appear to be more of an octogon shape and not round as on the model.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... l-1587.jpg;
I was thinking of mentioning that obviously they are the elevators for the Phantoms... :ha:
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I thought they was the mountings for the AA guns.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

fredk wrote:I thought they was the mountings for the AA guns.
:grin:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Whats that? AA as in Anti-Amarda?
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “In-Box reviews”