Kader (Lincoln) Handley Page Victor

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Kader (Lincoln) Handley Page Victor

Post by JamesPerrin »

Well actually it's a Hendley Page Victor according to the small slim box that was standard for all Lincoln/Kader releases. Like the rest this is box scale. I reckon, assuming it has a B1 wing span, that it's about 1/149 scale, so won't look out of place next to my 1/144 Welsh Model kit.

As to what it exactly represents I think it's a bit of a mash between the prototype (short nose) and a B1 (no intake at base of fin). The most glaring issue is the intakes and very blunt wing roots. Extending these and reshaping them would make it even more apparently a prototype as the wing roots were pretty close to the crew door. The other gross simplification is the exhausts as there are none are such and drilling these out and adding some tube will enhance things greatly.

The good new is that the parts fit together well. I trimmed of the sprue attachment marks and taped it all together.

This is what it is, a simple box scale kit that gives you the basic Victor shape, sure you could go to town and correct every issue but that then makes a simple kit a complicated one, which is kind of missing the point. Knocking this out in the prototype's distinctive black and silver livery will give you a nice little desk model.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Kader (Lincoln) Handley Page Victor

Post by DavidWomby »

Nice review of what will make great desk model in the prototype colours, James.

I actually extended the nose as you suggest but on a Lindberg 1/96 one to make it a B1 (or at least close to one).

David
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

At least you can't mistake where they want you to put the markings. I recall one of my brothers having a Lincoln kit of this about 50 years ago before I'd got into modelling. This is a real blast from the past.
Steve.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Interesting stuff - thanks for sharing, James! 8-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

As every kit deserves to be built (are you listening up there in the loft) something of that age and rareity should be built straight from the box imho
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

JamesPerrin wrote:I trimmed of the sprue attachment marks
Take it back for a refund - it clearly says "No cutting" and "No sanding" on the box.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....

Return to “In-Box reviews”