Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII

Post by flakmonkey »

As this kit is causing a minor stir, it's time we had a look at it. Following hot on the heels of the very nice Spitfire Mk.XII kit, the F.XVII has a tough act to follow. As this is an inbox review, here's the box. Half as wide again as the Mk.XII box and once again featuring the artwork of Adam Toobey.

Mr. Toobey is turning out to be a fine aviation artist, although I understand this is not his speciality, and it's pleasing to see quality art on Airfix boxes again. Inside the box we have 134 parts on two sprues of medium grey plastic and a separately bagged sprue containing the transparent parts. The box is stuffed with parts and the larger size is not a marketing ploy to justify the £3 or so more this will cost you than the Spitfire Mk.XII.

The smaller of the two grey sprues holds the newly tooled fuselage and cockpit parts amongst other bits and pieces.

The larger of the two contains not one but two sets of wings; one folded, one extended. This is a very welcome move by Airfix and will please many people. It is very mildly disappointing to note that the extended wing parts have inherited the slightly soft and wide detail on the undersides from the Mk.XII kit. This is the Mk.XII's Achilles heel but Mr. Surfacer or Tippex will work wonders on those lines. The newly tooled folded wing parts have detail that is much finer and crisper than anything Airfix have done in the 15 years that have passed since the release of the Seafire FR.46/ 47 kits.

The wingfolds themselves are exceptional and should look the business with careful painting.

This detail carries over to the folding wingtips as well. This is good stuff.

Two tailhooks are provided, one extended and one retracted. Again, these are well detailed and crisp.

The correct broad chord prop is provided. It's good to see that parts are not being recycled on the basis of being near enough; it would have been easy to just include the Spitfire XII prop instead of tooling a new one.

Control surfaces are separate and the flaps have good detail on their inner faces. Two sets are provided for flaps up and flaps down options. The flap wells have corresponding rib detail moulded into them. It's worth mentioning that Airfix have confined ejector pin marks to places where they will not be visible (with one small exception) which is encouraging.

The inner flap sections have the often overlooked hinge detail represented.

The radiator cores are provided as front and rear faces, and will look very convincing once treated to a wash to deepen the shadows.

The undercarriage is nicely done and there are two flavours of mainwheel, large diameter and small diameter hub types being catered for. Tyres are flattened and bulged on the wheels intended for use in the whells down configuration. The correct hub detail has been provided on the inboard faces for the two different wheel types. The outboard faces of the hubs are separate parts, which is very welcome. The detail on these is again very good; the large diameter hubs even have the valves moulded in. Scissors links are provided as separate parts and are good.

There is a selection of items to hang underneath the Seafire, comprising slipper tanks, a centreline tank and 3" rockets. The rockets are nice but the fins are on the chunky side.

Moving inside, we have the instrument panel, compass and rudder bars from the Mk.XII kit (no problems there then) and a newly tooled rear cockpit frame. This would benefit from having its lightening holes drilled out, a simple enough task.

The cockpit sidewalls have moulded detail and are dressed up with a couple of separate parts and will look the puppy's privates once painted.

The seat is the same item provided with the Mk.XII and much to the consternation of the League of Very Important Modellers on teh interwebz has an ejector pin mark on the seat pan. The League of Very Important Modellers are most upset about this and are queuing at Ultracast's door for new seats. There is also the option of manning up and taking 45 seconds with a drop of Mr. Surfacer and some wet and dry glued to a pencil eraser to fix this major crime against humanity. Nobody ever seems to mention the flare rack that, for all that it is beautifully done, is almost certainly wrong for anything later than a Spitfire Mk.V (although I would be happy to be corrected on this).

There is a nicely sculpted Johnny Pilot who looks much better in the flesh (plastic?) than he does in this photograph. He even has a tie.

The cockpit door has been improved from the Spitfire XII and is no longer blighted by ejector pin marks.

The transparent parts include the correct pattern gunsight, curved windscreen and two sliding canopies, one each for the open and closed positions. These are much better than the ones in the old FR.46/ 47 kit. The parts are not as crystal clear in my example as the ones in the Spitfire Mk.XII and will benefit from a polish and a dip in Klear.

What is encouraging is that Airfix might be listening to modellers and have taken the sprue gates to task. The ones on this kit are much more petite than those on previous Nu-Airfix releases. This sounds like a minor point but the king size attachment points on the Sea Vixen were a pain and it's good to see this being addressed. Little things mean a lot.

Airfix have joined the tiny band of manufacturers who realise that the FAA had more than one post-war camouflage scheme. The F.XVII kit has options for the early low demarcation EDSG over sky scheme. the temperate EDSG/ dark slate grey disruptive pattern over sky scheme and the later low demarcation EDSG over sky pattern whci will be familiar to most people. The temperate scheme is a very attractive one with its yellow codes and trim.

The decals are by Cartograph and if the ones in the Mk.XII kit are a guide they will be a joy to use. There is a full set of stencil data, colours are good and register is perfect. Aftermarket decals of this quality would cost a good portion of the price of the whole kit.

As Airfix continue on their apparent quest to kit every mark of Spitfire and Seafire in 1/48, they keep improving with each new release and the have raised the bar once again with this kit. Finally, after 15 years, they have a kit that can stand as an equal by the side of the FR.46/ 47 kit and that is no small praise. To say that they are beginning to approach Tamigawa levels of quality with their 1/48 releases is no exaggeration and when you take into account the very reasonable price of the kit (£18.99 RRP) it starts to look like a regular bargain. When you consider that you will end up with enough spares to kitbash a Mk.XII to turn out a Seafire XV, the F.XVII becomes a must have item for Spitfire/ Seafire and FAA fans. This is a highly recommended kit.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Mikeew
Active Participant

Re: Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII

Post by Mikeew »

I've just started mine and one area to watch if you build it with wings spread is these ejector pin marks you can see in this picture. They need removing to ensure a snug fit with top and bottom halves of the wings. There are more smaller ones on the lower sections too, but not as pronounced as the upper sections.

flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Good point Mike. At least the ejector pins are in places that makes them easy to tackle.

Having dug through the books last night, we might be able to clear up the question of the seat and its flare rack. Here's the FAA Museum's F.XVII:

I know there is always a danger in referring to museum exhibits, and I don't know the history of the FAA Museum's machine with respect to its originality, but there's a flare rack clearly visible on that seat. Good enough for me at this point.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Thanks for that in box review. Looks like Airfix out done themselves on this one. Now I want one even more...
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

thats a nice looking kit...........be nice to see one built up with the wings folded
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Seafire F XII walk around

Please follow this link to view the whole walk around. http://cluster8.secure-staging.uk/ashdo ... index.html

I apologise for the poor quality of the cockpit photos the canopy was shut and quite dusty.

Regards
Splash
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

Am I right in saying that the F.XVII had manually folding wings?
Does that rule out the option of having rockets if the wings are folded?

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Excellent walk around Splash, thanks for taking time to do that.
IrishAir wrote:Am I right in saying that the F.XVII had manually folding wings?
All Seafires had manually folding wings with the exception of the FR.47, and it took a fair sized gang of bods to fold the wings. They probably wouldn't have taken too kindly to folding a loaded wing and I haven't (yet) come across any pictures of them like that.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

As Airfix continue on their apparent quest to kit every mark of Spitfire and Seafire in 1/48, they keep improving with each new release and the have raised the bar once again with this kit.
Suits me ! You can never have enough Spitfires. :)

This is a very nice kit, though my example has a few moulding issues. All of the flap parts are moulded nicely on the internal, ribbed surfaces, but have a strange layered effect on the external ones. Have you seen that on yours FM ? I notice that your undercarriage legs are cleanly moulded too, whereas mine show some flash. No big deal for either, but there is a difference between our kits.
So many models, so little time.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

The top half of the centreline tank on my kit is missing a tiny section of the raised seam, which could well be a moulding defect. The tank appears to have been recycled from the older FR.46/ 47 kit, and I put it down to tooling damage at first but bad moulding seems far more likely. Somebody in the LMS had short shot flaps (sounds painful) so it's obviously worth a thorough check through the sprues with these kits before leaving the shop if at all possible. The plastic on these is different from other recent releases and this is the first kit I have seen from the Indian factory, either of these may be a factor.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Of all the Spits the Griffon Seafires are the ones that hold my attention. If I ever feel like bumping up a scale this looks a grand kit.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
IrishAir
Active Participant

Post by IrishAir »

flakmonkey wrote:
IrishAir wrote:Am I right in saying that the F.XVII had manually folding wings?
All Seafires had manually folding wings with the exception of the FR.47, and it took a fair sized gang of bods to fold the wings. They probably wouldn't have taken too kindly to folding a loaded wing and I haven't (yet) come across any pictures of them like that.
I've seen a diagram of the wings folded with the rockets attatched and this makes sense to me. They would have been armed in the hangar below deck with the wings folded so they could then go up the elevator. So it would be possible to do it fully armed with the wings folded. The extra weight would make it easy to fold the wings down.

Cheers,
Paul
There's always room for improvement...... and I got plenty of space to fill

Return to “In-Box reviews”