Xtrakit/MPM 1/72 Vampire FB.5

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Xtrakit/MPM 1/72 Vampire FB.5

Post by JamesPerrin »

I got hold of the Xtrakit boxing of the MPM DH Vampire FB. 3/5m which also appears in an Azur box for French aircraft. The Xtrakit one is ~20% cheaper and make sense if you are going to use your own markings. All the more likely since those Xtrakit provide are a bit dull... oh look their are Xtradecals available :roll:

To grey sprues and one clear. I think this kit has been done with steel moulds (I maybe mistaken), the plastic is a little harder than what MPM usually use. Oddly it has meant that the panel lines are not quite as fine as on their short run kits but are still more than acceptable.

The clear parts have a two piece canopy and also include the earlier version presumably for a later boxing. Muggins here managed to stand on it while taking these pics.

The engineering is convention for vampires, this means that the join of the boom to the wings is regrettably right on the trailing edge, so lets hope there isn't a need for too make sanding.

There is plenty of detail with a nice cockpit (PE is available for those that feel it necessary) just needs belts for the seat. The front of the engine is well represented and intake trunking is moulded as part of the fuselage. This should help with wing alignment too.

The fuselage, booms and wing match up well with the old aviation news/Warpaint plans with Ian Huntley.

My only real beef with the kit is the surface detail. Every minor lump, bump or raised panel has been represented regardless of whether it is to scale. The lower fuselage especially is festooned with raised catch, vents and some really odd bumps around the nose wheel. Any picture will show the Vampire to be clean and smooth.

I find raised detail a real pain when trying to achieve a smooth primer base, as sanding it down with some micro mesh now becomes a challenge to reach into every nook and cranny.

The kit decals are not by Xtradecal but Aviaprint who do the rest of the MPM stable. Should be thin and usable. The instructions are the more modern CAD type using basic colouring on glossy paper with colour painting diagrams.

So in summary a really nice kit that is only let down by MPM trying too hard to add every bit of surface detail.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “In-Box reviews”