(Re)introduce Yourself

MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: (Re)introduce Yourself

Post by MarkyM607 »

Welcome aboard Steve!!, and don't worry about standards, the best trick most of us here can do is LOOKING professional even though we aren't!!. :lol: :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
oldfogey56
starter kit

Post by oldfogey56 »

Hi all , my name is Dave and I am from a small country town called Levin in New Zealand . I used to make plastic models way back in the 60's and 70's , then life got in the way for a few decades . Having to become semi retired due to health problems and having a son who has got into his fathers addiction in a bigger way than me ( and he is a better model builder by a long way but nobody tell him ) I have begun building again . I have recently started to learn the art of airbrushing , I build mainly in 1 :72 and mainly WW2 associated , and am stupid and buy old Novo , Frog , Airfix plastic on the net, end up having to scratch build basic cockpits and swear never again , until I see something I like on the net . Us old dogs don't learn too quick.I don't do weathering and am unconcerned if a model is not completely accurate , I build for fun and not for museums , but each to their own and I do appreciate the work some put into their models and dioramas . I will try to learn how to put pics on here but It has taken me a while working out how to do Instagram so if you want to see what I have done/am doing look for blundelldave on Instagram in the interim , I have a computer geek son will get me doing the right things here eventually . Cheers all
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hi Dave and welcome aboard.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

oldfogey56 wrote: buy old Novo , Frog , Airfix plastic on the net, end up having to scratch build basic cockpits and swear never again , until I see something I like on the net . Us old dogs don't learn too quick.I don't do weathering and am unconcerned if a model is not completely accurate , I build for fun and not for museums
Sounds like you'll fit in just fine here Dave - welcome mate! Several of us here have a penchant for the Classic stuff and even have our own group hosted on this site - the Classic British Kits S.I.G. (Novo count because they started off a FROGs anyway!).
Posting picturess is pretty straight forward - upload them to a hosting site first (I use Photobucket.com), copy the individual link they give the each pic once loaded and then paste that into your post on here. Hey Presto, we should all be able to see your pride and joy(s). We can soon help if it doesn't work first time (if your son hasn't sussed it out first for you).
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
oldfogey56
starter kit

Post by oldfogey56 »

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/blvnde ... g.html?o=2; attempting a picture upload , thanks for the welcome Beany , is this the sort of stuff you do ? and your description of Fat git etc sounds like me , maybe we all start to look the same as we crouch over our work desks...
beany

Post by beany »

Yes, but unfortunately you will need to copy and resize the image - max of 1000 high by 800 wide I'm afraid - it's just one of those usage limits that have to be set on a forum like this. I've set that as a default size when uploading any images to Photobucket now as just about everything I upload if for use of forums. Then you just need to add [img] to the front of the link name.
Then add [/img] to the end of the link name and the picture will appear. (I had to split that sentence or it would think I'm trying to show a picture with the name of the text that is inbetween the brackets!)
Cheers
Al.
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Nigel Foster »

Hi, my name is Nigel and I have just joined. I have loved reading the comments for year so decided to take the plunge and join. I now live in the North East of England and have built models since my grandfather bought me my first Airfix Hurricane in August 1963. I still cannot build to the standard of you folks on this website but I shall keep trying.
I mainly build aircraft in 1/72 and some of the airfield vehicles to go with them. I used to build 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 amour but space and time decided otherwise. I consider myself a supporter of the Military and all those fine folks do.

I still get the enjoyment I did back in 1963 when my Grandfather taught me how to stick plastic together and hope to enjoy many years inspired by these pages.

Nigel
jssel

Post by jssel »

Hey Nigel. Welcome aboard and do enjoy your stay here.
Nigel Foster

Post by Nigel Foster »

Jeff,

Many thanks

Nigel
beany

Post by beany »

Welcome Nigel. I hope you enjoy your stay here. We'd like to see some of your work when you are ready to share photos with us. Don't worry about any conception of standards - I personally feel it is my duty to keep the average down around here so as not to put other folk off joining!! :lol:
Cheers
Al.
PkBoo

Post by PkBoo »

Hi, my name is Eugène and I just plunged in..... jumped in without really lurking and went for the brand.... Airfix ;-) yesterday! So I'm hoping you're good people :-D :-D and spare me in your comments and my English! I come from and live in Holland, work in the IT branch, love everything WWII, been building models since I was 8 or 9 mostly airplanes which hung from my room's ceiling but turned to RC boats when I could afford them! I want to learn to fly but, although the kids have their own pads now, I don't really have the room for RC planes at the moment, so I decided to start with my first love 1/48 scale and ordered a Spitfire MkVb and a BF109E .... classical nemeses of each other in the BOB.

Due to the keenness of my wife... "Thou shall not populate the ceiling other than with light...." She saw it coming way before I even thought about it :lol: I was planning on an active dogfight diorama, with motorized props, flashing leds on the business end of the pursuer and maybe .... maybe movement of the planes tilting left and right as if in a dogfight and the pursued is trying to evade the pursuer... a tall order I'm sure!

I hope for your support and help and I in return will try to do the same with the limited knowledge and experience I have!

;-) PkBoo
Really...!?
jssel

Post by jssel »

Welcome to the forum Eugene. Enjoy the stay. Everyone here is very helpful.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard ... we all wish for ceilings like that, but our spouses all seem to build anti-aircraft gun models :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Martin RAM Models
starter kit

Post by Martin RAM Models »

I have been an observer for longer than I am willing to admit. I thought it finally time to join and introduce myself.

Some of you may know me or have chatted to me on other modelling/aviation forums where I use the same or a similar user name.

Probably like many others I started making kits as a child & I then dipped out of the hobby when alcohol, women and cars entered into my life. My local newsagents was my local kit supplier, which had a well stocked range of mainly Matchbox kits. The kit I lusted over and never got to build was the Airfix VC10 tanker in the original Camo release.

Fast forward a few years and now a little older I returned to the hobby. Enjoying occasionally building subjects of interest and also having the additional excitement and challenge of setting up an on-line model store. Offering only our own range of decals and walkaround CD’s I have the added pleasure/complication of working how best to re-release the former range of Airways kits now that we own the tooling's. Fun exciting times and to date it hasn't quashed my enjoyment of the actual hobby side which is good.

My modelling projects generally take months/years rather than the mere hours they took as a child so please don't expect me to be a prolific builder lol.

Regards Martin
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by nashorn »

Hi Martin, and welcome, i am also local to coventry,
interesting to hear about your business, can you send me the address/link so that i can have a look.

regards Rich.
Rich.

Return to “Welcome!”