Hello

Boggy
starter kit

Hello

Post by Boggy »

Hi
I'm Ron. I used to be a keen modeler years ago when my lads were younger (the wife thought I was making the kits for their bedroom ;-) ) I then moved on to radio control and have accumulated quite a good collection of Aircraft Helicopters and Cars.Now the weather is cooling and I have come to my senses I'm got back to kits for the winter.
Previously my kits were a little sterile looking painted as per the instuctions with no weathering or real detail but now in the age of t'internet and faceplant I realize just how great they can be made to look,so expect plenty of questions about techniques!
My first love is Helicopters as I'm ex Fleet Air Arm (yeovilton based) so my first model I have a special love for.

its very much a WIP Wessex mk5. (Italeri 1/72 )

My first attempt using an Airbrush!

one coat on. :-)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Hello

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard, Ron - I'm sure you'll find us helpful.

I'm going to step out of the way, as we have a few former FAA helicopter types here and I don't want to be trampled when they gather you in :grin:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Hi Ron,welcome to the fray!

As JR says, there are a few FAA types already here so you'll be in good company in that regard

If I may respectfully make a suggestion regarding your airbrushing, it looks like you have over-thinned and/or over-coated, which has resulted in the runs that you can see on the Wessex; a little and often is the way to go. Also, try warming the model (I use an old fan heater) before and after spraying; that way the paint settles and dries quicker, and you can apply multiple coats without having to empty and clean the airbrush! Works for me anyway!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Boggy
starter kit

Post by Boggy »

Thanks for the tips Iggie. I think your spot on. I definitely over-thinned the paint (revell aqau colour/ revell mixer.) and also sprayed it outside in the cold yesterday.(I think I used the wrong airbrush too,it was a suction cup type and applied far to much product in one go)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Welcome aboard Ron. Enjoy the stay. I am also a Rotor Head just US ARMY.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Fleet Air Arm, Fleet Air Arm, did someone mention the Fleet Air Arm!!!!!!

Welcome aboard Ron it's always good to see another WAFU on the forum and even better to see one building the lovely Wessex in green.

When you mix your paint try to go for the consistency of skimmed milk and go for several thin layers rather than just the one coat. I personally use Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing thinned with their own thinners or surgical spirit as Tamiya paints are alcohol based. Both the Hobby Hanger and Hobby Craft in Yeovil stock them, XF67 NATO Green is a good match for the Wessex.

Well done on the rotor blades they look spot on, watch out for the tail wheel on that kit as it's weak and always breaks off and if you check out the tail rotor blades I think you will find they are on the wrong way round as the kit was originally designed as a very early American version and they forgot to change it when they updated the kit.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Welcome aboard Ron :grin:
Up in the Great White North
Boggy
starter kit

Post by Boggy »

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys.I'll post up a picture once its finished and have a 1/48 size waiting. so I'll start a proper thread for that one. :-)

Hobby Hangar is my favorite shop Splash.The wife thinks its called The paper shop ;-)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Boggy wrote:Thanks for the welcome and tips guys.I'll post up a picture once its finished and have a 1/48 size waiting. so I'll start a proper thread for that one. :-)

Hobby Hangar is my favorite shop Splash.The wife thinks its called The paper shop ;-)
:ha: :ha: :ha: same here :-D
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Welcome aboard Ron!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Hi Ron. Welcome to the UAMF :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Boggy
starter kit

Post by Boggy »

Thanks for the welcome posts. The 1/72 Wessex is now finished.

Return to “Welcome!”