Hello from Alaska

hittingonallnine
starter kit

Hello from Alaska

Post by hittingonallnine »

I'm here to vie for the title of "Oldest Modeller." I started building balsa and paper models as a kid, and stopped when I figured out that perfume smelled better than Type A Testors. Spent four years in the US Air Force as a radar tech in a fighter squadron. I've lived in Alaska for the past 52 years, and am now 78. Four years ago, while surfing the Internet, I saw an twin-engine prop job that grabbed my interest. Upon investigating it, I learned that it was a Douglas A-26, a medium bomber that saw the last year or so of World War II. I also learned that it was used in Vietnam. A California company had made a version of it, the B-26K, designed to interdict south-bound traffic on "The Trail," the B-26K. It had eight 50-caliber machine guns in the nose, a bomb bay that would (and did) hold all kinds of wicked looking bombs, and eight pylons for holding everything a kid who liked blow up stuff could possibly want. My wife gave me the Italeri kit for Christmas, and I've been hooked ever since. I've limited myself to 1/72 scale, and to the Vietnam War period — 1955-1975, by my reckoning. At this writing, more than 30 aircraft of that era, from a Bird Dog to a BUFF, soar in the airspace of my man cave. I'm now building the Airfix 1/72 DHC-2 Beaver (RU-6A), used by the US Army to locate enemy radio transmitters and gather electronic intelligence. I enjoy learning the history of the war(s), the people and the aircraft at least as much a I enjoy the actual building of the models. I'll spend four hours in research for every hour of building.

I look forward to consorting with people from the Motherland. Some of my people came to America from there, or, more likely, fled from there. Whatever, I trust that my living in one of the colonies won't detract from my worthiness as a forum member.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Hello from Alaska

Post by iggie »

Welcome to the forum!
Looking forward to seeing some of your builds, and hearing your views on ours too!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Welcome to the UAMF. Looking forward to seeing your builds. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard !!!
You might be oldest current member, not sure about oldest ever, Pete comes to mind.
You stand a good chance of being our only Alaskan, possibly our first.

I've made several trips up their, TDY not pleasure, none in quite a while.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

hittingonallnine wrote:Whatever, I trust that my living in one of the colonies won't detract from my worthiness as a forum member.
Detract?? You gotta be kidding, that makes you our star member I 'd say. Short of having someone join who lives at one of the Poles I can't see anyone beating that! A warm welcome to the forum sir. I hope you enjoy your time here with us. Please do let us see some of your work. All grades are accepted and encouraged; they even let me display some of mine occasionally!
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Welcome to the forum from here in Yorkshire. All are worthy members here and all are equal too. I know what you mean about reading about the subject before building it. If I stopped doing that I may just manage to finish something before the next ice age.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Welcome!”