Hi from Lincoln, UK

billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Hi from Lincoln, UK

Post by billyb_imp »

Approaching 62 years and I have at last decided to get into some scale modeling kits, I must have done one or two when I was a kid but don't remember much about them, so, many years have passed since my previous attempts.

I have recently been doing RC Cars and a bit of flying but decided I need to do something a little more sedate, no more having to run around after broken / crashed equipment.

I work at RAF Coningsby and having always had a lovely of aircraft I thought I might start with aircraft we have at Coningsby (or have had recently), as we have BBMF on site this gives me options for the modern Typhoon, Tornado along with the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Chipmunks, Dakota and of course the Lancaster, so lots to choose from. We also have at least four gate guardians from previous era's to keep me going.

I'm writing this post as I sit in our (Margaret is my wonderful wife) caravan at East Kirkby Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, attending an RC Flying event for the bank holiday weekend, tomorrow I'm off to the gift shop where they have a decent choice of Airfix kits and will get a couple, maybe three to make a start with, then jump in and see how things go.

Watch this space.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Hi from Lincoln, UK

Post by Dazzled »

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy building your new purchases :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Welcome to the forum!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi and welcome to the forum ,thought i'd let you know about a nice model show fairly close to you in October at the southwell racecourse,newark which i think is organised by the lincoln ipms
cheers craig
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard.

I think you'll find us friendly, encouraging, and helpful -- although your R/C experience, whether cars or aircraft, already gives you a good start. It would be interesting to see/hear about that also. - don't be shy.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hello there and welcome to the forum. It must be a nice job working at Coningsby. Do you work at the visitors centre? If yes we may have a mutual friend.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Gregers wrote:Hello there and welcome to the forum. It must be a nice job working at Coningsby. Do you work at the visitors centre? If yes we may have a mutual friend.

All the best.

Greg
Hi Greg and thanks for the welcome. With regards to my work, I do not actually do anything at all in the visitor centre, I do look after the rest of the estate though, managing the maintenance works, project management etc. that includes the BBMF Hanger, so plenty of opportunity to see the Lancaster, Spitfires & Hurricanes etc. close up.

Coningsby is a wonderful Base to work at being able to see the old along with the latest technology in today's fast jets, hopefully, sometime in the not to distant future I will be able to transfer what I see in real life into my models, but, much to learn before that.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Thanks for the warm welcome folk, but it's back to my research for a while before I actually try building anything.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hmmmm, your initial post said "jump in and see how things go" and now you're off doing research ? :)
Follow your heart ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sounds like the sort of job many on here would envy. I really must get down to Coningsby some time soon. Last time I was there was when the Canadian Lanc was visiting.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

jRatz wrote:Hmmmm, your initial post said "jump in and see how things go" and now you're off doing research ? :)
Follow your heart ....
I'm away from home at the moment John at an RC large model show, so only have research available, but, I have bought a couple of models whilst at the show, so once I get home and have a little time, I will make a start.

Also ordered a few consumables, cutting mat etc from Amazon, so, good to go by about Wednesday.

billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Gregers wrote:Sounds like the sort of job many on here would envy. I really must get down to Coningsby some time soon. Last time I was there was when the Canadian Lanc was visiting.

All the best.

Greg
If you manage to get to Coningsby sometime in the future Greg, and know in advance that your coming PM me and we can meet up hopefully

Cheers Billy

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Sounds good to me. With luck I will get down there this summer. I also want to call into Metheringham to see some friends there.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
billyb_imp

Post by billyb_imp »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, i'm already picking up some good tips and i will certainly need them

Return to “Welcome!”