Time to say Hello :-)

Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Time to say Hello :-)

Post by Crashpilot »

Well, after posting more than 100 postings here, I thought it´s only polite to introduce myself here, by telling something
about myself.
Modelling was my second hobby in life, the first kit I ever build was a Revell F4U Corsair in 72 scale, I must have been
around 10 years old. I remember I tried to paint it with water colours from school, I was so disappointed that the colour
didn´t want to stick to the plastic!
The first model I ever finished, with paint and decals on, was a Matchbox Zero! I had no light grey, so I used flat white instead, and I was very proud of the result :grin: !
Back then, I still built the occasional Matchbox tank, but I got stuck on planes right in the beginning!
I kept on modelling til I realized that I used this hobby as a compensation against my frustration with the "outside world",
and so kind of forced myself to abandon the hobby when I was around 21.
(But I always kept a secret stash, just in case, and some of my fave models!.... ;-) )
Then it was time for going to parties, meeting girls, travelling to the Middle East, and later, the Caribbean, no modelling for quite a while...
But then, in the second half of my thirties, I found myself going to LMS again, sometimes just to peek in the window, to look at presented models, there....8-)
And then I had a job at an airshow, where there were some desks with model kits!! 8-)
And I couldn´t resist anymore.
The first kit I bought at the airshow was a Hobbycraft Vietcong MiG-17 in 48 scale (it´s still in the stash, started, though).
And then I started collecting kits for about 2 years, before I realized these things are made to be built, not to hang around on their sprues, hidden in cartons :ha:
Since I collected faster than I could built, I esteem my stash at around 120+ kits, mostly in 72 scale.
I joined a modelling club here in Germany 2 years ago, and it means a lot to me to do my hobby within a club,
because without it (or without a forum like this here!!!) , modelling is a kind of lone wolf thing, I believe.

I´ve been hanging around forums in german language, but quite often, I didn´t like the "air" these forums had,
because a lot of Germans have a problem with taking life easy, and take this hobby (or life in general) too seriously :razz:
IMHO, too many AMS peoples and rivet counters abound there.
( :oops: I feel a bit hypocritical writing this, cause I´m going a bit AMS-style on the Matchbox MiG I´m about to finish right now - but this model does not represent my usual style of modelling ;-) )
And another side effect here on uamf:
It helps me staying fluent in English, right now I don´t have so many opportunities to speak English, because I live in a rural area, not so much English spoken here, like in Berlin, where I used to live for quite a while.
Anyways, I want to conclude here, maybe add something more later on.
"Happy modelling" to all from me!
Don´t take it too seriously, it can become an unpleasant job, otherwise :)

PS: Another important reason for me to join uamf is my soft spot for classic kits, a lot of them being CBK´s.
(I still build Matchbox kits quite often, f.e.)
I can find a lot of soul mates here, I presume?!
...and, by the way, thanks for the warm welcome here :)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Time to say Hello :-)

Post by Gregers »

A belated welcome to you Crash. I think most modellers who started as youngsters had a break then came back to it. In my case wine women and song got in the way, so I gave up singing :grin:
I too try not to take this hobby, or myself too seriously. Life's too short for that. Looking forward to seeing your Mig. One of my favourite aircraft and one of the first Matchbox kits I ever made.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Cool intro, thanks for "getting around to it".
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Great introduction, and nice to get to know you a little more as a result; liking your work so far and totally agree that modelling as a hobby mustn't be taken too seriously or else it ceases to be a hobby and becomes your life.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nice intro, and your English is waaaay better than my German :grin:

Nigel
Crashpilot

Post by Crashpilot »

Thank you all, modelling´s a lot more fun when I share my builds with other people, even if it´s "only" virtually.
(to show them to my fellow club members, I have to pack ´em up, and bring them ca. 50 km from here, to Hanover)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Crashpilot

Post by Crashpilot »

....and my name in real life is Markus, but I don´t mind being called Crash, or CP, or Crashp. :grin:

Return to “Welcome!”