Greetings from California, with an introduction...

PropWash
Active Participant

Greetings from California, with an introduction...

Post by PropWash »

Dear UAMF members,

Greetings from California. :)

Thank you for the chance to introduce myself. For many years I have collected die cast aircraft (military) and only occasionally dabbled with plastic model building. This was a passion of mine as a kid that I had long lost touch with. However, a couple of years ago, I joined a nice little die cast forum (that will, sadly, cease operation at the end of this month) that morphed into a forum that included plastic model building. I met some wonderful people there who rekindled my interest in this hobby and got me building again. They helped me to improve my builds a great deal and expand into ship building as well. Needless to say, my die cast collecting has gone by the wayside and my kit building has become a joy for me.

I am happy to finally join-up with The UAMF after the many months I lurked as a guest. I always found it to be a great resource when researching kits I was interested in building. I also enjoyed reading the posts and how the forum operated. I look forward to being a member of the forum and hope I may contribute to it.

My sincere best wishes to you all.

PropWash
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Greetings from California, with an introduction...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard. Best way to contribute is dive right in.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Welcome Propwash! Glad you found your way over. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are building lately.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Welcome to our little bit of cyberspace Propwash. Looking forward to reading your posts. I too have diecasts but I find kits much more satisfying.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Welcome! Join in and you will instantly be part of it!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

Welcome aboard.

David
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

My thanks to you all for the kind welcome. :)

Hey PMM! Great finding you here as well. :grin:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Hi Propwash. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

A warm welcome to the UAMF Propwash, we're very pleased that you have joined us. Thanks for letting us know you lurked for a while as well - it is gratifying to know that someone who has lurked found us friendly enough to make contact and join in (I lurked for ages to back in the day!).

I sometimes wish I could find out from people who decide not to join if there was anything in particular that put them off - photos of my crappy builds notwithstanding!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

beany wrote:A warm welcome to the UAMF Propwash, we're very pleased that you have joined us. Thanks for letting us know you lurked for a while as well - it is gratifying to know that someone who has lurked found us friendly enough to make contact and join in (I lurked for ages to back in the day!).

I sometimes wish I could find out from people who decide not to join if there was anything in particular that put them off - photos of my crappy builds notwithstanding!

Cheers
Al.
Thank you Beany (love that signature too). :lol: To address your question, in my case anyway, it was the misconception that this is an Airfix-centric model forum. Obviously that couldn't be further from the truth. But for a casual browser, or someone seeing the name in a search, it might give that impression.

I will say that I am very happy to have finally joined and for the warm welcome I have encountered. I have only one complaint though - that I have so much reading to get caught-up on here.

Thanks again, everyone, for the new home.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

PropWash wrote:
beany wrote: I sometimes wish I could find out from people who decide not to join if there was anything in particular that put them off - photos of my crappy builds notwithstanding!
To address your question, in my case anyway, it was the misconception that this is an Airfix-centric model forum. Obviously that couldn't be further from the truth. But for a casual browser, or someone seeing the name in a search, it might give that impression.
Good question and thank you for the reply ...

It's historical, back to our roots. Long ago, Airfix sponsored a modeling forum but pulled the plug on it. From the ashes rose several similarly named modeling forums, of which we are one, hence the "Unofficial" in our name. Many of those that came "over here" had a interest in not just Airfix but all of the Classic British Kits and that has set a broader tone but truth is we appreciate, as can be seen from the postings, any manufacturer, new & old.

Perhaps, without "re-branding", we need to ensure that message is clearer as most of it is contained on the old, now archived, forum.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Can we make uamf designate something else? Something more all encompassing?

Unusually
Abmormal
Modeling
Funsters

Return to “Welcome!”