(Re)introduce Yourself

dogsbody
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.
Location: The Backside of Beyond ( Northeast Alberta, Canada )

Re: (Re)introduce Yourself

Post by dogsbody »

I'm Chris Eldridge.
I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and I work at the " World's First Oil Mine ", where I am one of the Shift Unit Leaders in the Primary Extraction Plant. I have been thusly employed for over 30 years.
I have been married for 25 years and have three lovely daughters, plus one small, yappy dog. Life is good.
I don't get much model building done, so I lurk about forums like this one. I joined the old forum back in '07 and hope to enjoy this one as much as the old one.

Chris

Update: As of May, 2015, I am now retired.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm Chris.

I started out around 1970 with an MPC/Fundementions diorama set called 'ballon Buster' (it was really a series one Airfix Spad & WWI HO germans on a vacuform base) which i painted the spad purple (seemed like a good idea at the time!) but I loved it!

I quickly moved on to all the other brands, such as lindberg, then Monogram and aurora, before finally starting to see airfix kits under the Airfix label in the USA.

Life changed around 1985 as other interests and real life crept in, but I returned last year and have been at it ever since.
spitfire1677

Post by spitfire1677 »

I'm Chris...another one!,
I have been modeling this time round for about 2 years, and and am really enjoying it, I build anything that takes my fancy, and in any scale. Well a bit about me, I am in the British Army and have served for 18 years. I started off in the Infantry but after a few years I transfered to the RLC as a Driver/Radio operator, during my time in the Army I have served in various places, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Canada, USA, Germany and Iraq/Kuwait to name a few. I have the best sort of wife...an EX-WIFE! And I also have 2 children, Abi 15 and Callum 14, and live in Aldershot with my girlfriend Jane, we have a German Sheppard called Star, a hamster called Optimus Prime and 2 Degu's called Ben and Jerry.

Well thats just about it I think...

Regards

Chris
Regards

Chris
Ernie
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Ernie »

Hello, I'm Ernie, formerly known as "captian plastic", but seem to have outgrown that particular name. I'm mid fourties and have been building models most of that time. I have been married to my wonderful wife Tamara 25 years this comming August and we have three children, two girls and a boy. Our oldest daughter got married this past December while the others (13 and 15) are still at home. Took a bit of a break from modeling about three years ago when my wife was diagonised with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which she is now recovering from, and modeling gives me the sanity check I need on most days.

I have a B/A degree in histroy and was working on my Masters in Education when my wife became ill, so as a matter of consequence I do what I have done for the last 20+ years; I am a Machinist working for a small company making all types of parts, in the past I have had the oppertunity to work on some pretty cool stuff, such as parts for the ALE-50 and -55 towed decoys, B-777 window molds, and parts made out of RAM (radar absorbing materials).

As for modeling intrests, I enjoy all types, probably do the worst with cars, and prefer aircraft, armour, and ships. I also enjoy all types of kits, though if given the resources would probably build mostly resin kits, as I really like the medium and the diversity of kits offered by the resin kit makers. One particullary quirky goal I have is to try and build at least one kit from as many different kit manafacturers as possible. I guess that is about all, I really like the new home here and look foreward to being able to join in more frequentely.
Ernie
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

Hi from Australia, 37 y.o. Modelled as a kid started again about 13 years ago as an adult. I mostly do 1/72 scale aircraft from all eras, I would describe my modeling style as laid back, although I came close to being a JMN when I re started!
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Stamford is not my my real name either - usually get called Mark and a few other things! Fortyfive this year married with two kids I hail from the Brighton area but moved to Sweden twenty years ago following a blonde. Slavishly loyal to Airfix as a kid I now build whatever i fancy - old bangers and posh new jobs both get a go. As a modelling loner I am grateful to the advice and help of you others out there which made me get an airbrush a couple of years back and start my own chemical collection. This has got me to the stage where I´m pretty pleased with some of my efforts and have even started showing them off in the front room! Takes me a while to build a kit so I´m a bit shy of group activities so I just trundle along at my own pace. Off the plastic I´m involved with my youngest lads rugby team and do a bit of fishing.
running at the edge of their world
hamden

Post by hamden »

Hi

My name is Roger and I live in Dorset with my wife Chris and two adult children, started modelling when I was around six and have been building for the last fifty four years mostly in seventy second and usually aircraft from WW2 although other subjects do cross the bench from time to time. Besides modelling I also enjoy photography - mainly warbirds and motor sport having competed at club level in sprints/hill climbs and rally's. I was lucky to have spent two and three quater years working in Canada at BATUS, a civillian working for the British Army. I am now as they say between jobs so may be I can reduce the stash a bit.

All the best

Roger
Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Viking »

Good morning gentlemen

and since we seem to be doing the full CV for the introductions, then, my turn :)

I usually go by the name of Alan and am based near Aberdeen. i have modelled, man and boy, for nearly 40yrs from nagging my father aged 5 or 6 for an airfix series 1 Me262 to buying a Karaya resin Short Crusader for my scheinder trophy collection last weekend. i had the usual gaps due to university, beer, woman, marriage and kids but seem to have settled into a routine of being allowed a couple of hours some evenings and a trip to telford every 2 years...

i have been married for 16yrs to Jackie and have 2 girls (12 & 9) and live in the country with a big garden, 4 cats and a view of the north sea and the grampian mountains. I trained as an analytical chemist, work in the oilfield chemistry industry and support independance for scotland :) pet hates ? cheap whisky, the "it must be somebodies fault and they have to pay me" culture and slavish fawning over royalty... :)

Modelling themes change in focus over time but i never lose them and do come back to them over time; current themes are: 48th WW1 planes, Modern jets special schemes, modern royal navy in 700th, sailing ships any scale, military rockets, BAe Hawk colour schemes, swiss and irish airforces, artillery and flying boats, especially the scheinder trophy planes. i also build anything else that takes my fancy eg tanks and cars and figures.

i joined the UAMF way back at the end of 2006 and have been proud to contribute to the telford displays of 2007, 08, 09 & 10 :)

Now, off to do something modelling related, but, the real question is: can i get to 1000 posts on this site ? i reached 850+ on the last site so, from predicted post rates, i will be able to make the announcement sometime in 2016 !

Best wishes

Alan
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
Colin
Getting well comfy!

Post by Colin »

Hi, I've been a member of the original UAMF for a number of years. I've been modelling for nearly 40 years. My modelling interests are a bit of what I fancy but my favourite subject is SF hardware, particularly craft from the Gerry Anderson series. I'm not afraid to scratch build where thereis no kit available. My most recent project being the SHADO Jeep from the series 'UFO'. based on the Tamiya 1/24 Mini kit.
Since then, I've completed the Beam Engine, which I managed to Motorize and I'm currently working on the Dapol Stephenson's Rocket
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Hi everyone!
My name is Oleg, I am 40 years old, I live in Moscow. I'm modeller from since my 7 years. Forum gregers.7.forumer.com found when searching for something about the Frog kits. I build kits when have inspiration, my favorite-carrier borne aircraft + 1 / 144 strategic aviation. In 2004, together with friend has create site about NOVO kits (while on a free hosting). I'm awful writing in English and almost do not speak English. However, I find dealing with people from all over the world is more interesting than just on the Russian model forums, which I has left permanently. Divorced five years ago, my daughter 10 years. Now lives with me my girlfriend. I work as a content-manager, and to a lesser extent the web-designer.

Have a Nice Day!
Zero
starter kit

Post by Zero »

Hi Guys

Just thought I would poke my head (round your new door) and wish you all well with the new site.

Must have been a wrench to move so I hope the new site is twice as good as the old one was for you all

Wishing you all the best

Dave (aka Zero)
montessa315

Post by montessa315 »

Hello to all.

My name is Alan, also known as montessa315. 47 years of age and living in Rugby, UK.

As many people on here I did some modeling as a schoolboy, but other interests finally took over.
Due to some serious illnesses all external activities had to stop and so went all my active hobbies. From there I got into radio control models, but lack of money due to not being able to work full time made it difficult to fully pursue R/C models. But through researching for a particular R/C model I again stumbled across plastic model kits, and during the last year it has just grown.

I enjoy the building, whatever the end result is. I’m not (yet) into all the research side, it does not have to be exact or match the colour perfectly. It is nice when all basic techniques are right and that is still what I’m practicing to get right. Through the internet I have learnt a lot and always willing to trying something new out. I will have a go at anything and in any scale, just trying to improve.
This is the only forum I really use and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here so far, hope I continue to do so.

Well, enough of my ramblings, time to let someone else have there say.

Thanks.

Alan…………

Post by Lyell72planes »

Hello, my name is Lyell Wilson. I live in the Washington DC suburbs and work for the
Defence Department. Have been a avid Classic British Kit collector for 25 years. Though
I am old school modeling I enjoy looking at what the new generation of modelers bring
to the table. :grin: Lyell...
Classic British Kit Collector
Robin
Likes a cup of Horlicks

Post by Robin »

Good Morning.

Robin here, a long time member of the old site, could not be bothered with changing my name as it has served me well for the last 72 years. I was born in Wigan, Lancashire, but now live in Maidstone, in the Garden of England (Kent). I served in the RAF, being one of the last few National Servicemen to enter, and 'flew' a desk for my two years, even manageing to hitch a ride in a Canberra. For the remainder of my working life I was employed as a Civil Servant in the Ministry of Defence in London, where I was able to indulge my passion of aircraft and flying, being able to fly in such aircraft as Lancaster, Victor, Argosy, C130, Sea King, Wessex, Puma, Gazelle and Chipmunk. Having retired 12 years ago, I belong to the RAF Association, and was invited to become a Trustee of the National Battle of Britain Memorial, the two organisations keeping me very busy, and I get to meet many interesting people, such as members of the 'Few', and the occasional Royal, however, this does mean that at the moment I seem to have very little time for modelling. When I do have time I dabble in aircraft, civil and military, armour and the occasional vehicle, however, I use modelling as a relaxation and am a member of the Medway Modelling Club. Sorry this has gone on for a long time, but I have been around for quite a while.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra
MackemPete

Post by MackemPete »

Hi, As a 42 year old newbie to modelling I have found uamf a vital tool(almost as important as a hairy stick!) and I've only been playing with plastic since last Christmas, when she who is sometimes obeyed got me a starter set. I have built up a small stash of tools and equipment probably costing less than £50 and find that I using alot from the wife's card making kit which is slowly being pushed out of the spare room!
I've mentioned her twice so I suppose I better tell you her name is Lynn- A great woman who I've been married to for five years after having a 10 years road test( you got to be sure!) Floyd the dog is our only dependant but try putting that on your tax return!
I'm a taxi driver from Sunderland (home of the worlds biggest free airshow*) and enjoy cycling and being out with the hound dog, and having no jam eaters get a lot of time to do what I want to!
Thats about it me thinks
Cheers
Pete
*according to the local press

Return to “Welcome!”