(Re)introduce Yourself

Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: (Re)introduce Yourself

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I don't think I did this on the other forum so a new forum comes new beginnings.

My screen name is Dirkpitt289, My real name is Dirk Pitt. The 289 designation stands for the engine size of my favorite car the Ford Mustang. As I grew older and went to school i was kidded by my teachers that I was named after the character "Dirk Pitt" created by Clive Cussler. While that wasn't true I do feel a kinship with the character after reading his books. I love the sea and old shipwrecks, and of course classic cars.

My story is a lot like most here. I first got into modeling as a kid. I remember being around 4 when my Dad bought the old Monogram kit of the Yellow 55 Chevy Badman He built it with my help and when it was done it was mine to play with.

This was another one of my first kits.

I built models on and off till about 8th grade where I made dioramas of a B=17 and B-24 for history projects. Then like so many others I discovered girls and that was the end. I remember giving all my dios to the little kid down the street.

I had a lot of jobs as an adult but the most notable was a Trooper for the New Jersey State Police and a C-130 Mechanic in the US Air Force. It wasn't until my first marriage of 10 years ended and a few years into my newest relationship did I get back into modeling. For some reason for Christmas my current girlfriend got me two models. One was the Titanic and the other was a 66 Mustang 2+2. Its been all down hill since then. :mrgreen:

I firmly believe its sites like this that have caused this hobby to flourish for me as opposed to petering out after those first two kits were done.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

See you around the board. ;-)
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
ejsnotgrass
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ejsnotgrass »

Well you all know me the mad scotsman who makes the journey every November from up here in the North(Through hell or high water I will be there)to Telford for the social atmosphere,good laughs,lots of beers,talking about modelling,then more beers,having a lot of laughs,then even more beers(you can see where this is going can't you :-D :-D :-D got to keep the Scottish reputation up haven't I)and meeting fantastic people who really make this forum such a friendly happy place to be a member of.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, glad to see you back Iain !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I'll third that! Please make yourself at home again, Iain!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Cojawa
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Cojawa »

HI ,my name is Connor I'm 13 years old the youngest on this forum I think.
I've been modeling for about 6-7 years and been on this forum for 2 years.
And it's great to be back doing some more modeling.

Thanks, Cheers, Auf Wiedershen

Connor
Al Giordino: [after going outside and being shot at] Next time, *you* go!
Dirk Pitt: What the hell took you so long?
Al Giordino: What? I stopped for coffee.
Dirk Pitt: Get a receipt?
Al Giordino: Yeah, I got a receipt, and I got you one, too!
Dirk Pitt: You're the best, Al!
(Sahara by Clive Cussler)
Czartank

Post by Czartank »

Hi My name is Ian, I live in Enfield with my wife Roz and our two cats. I got back into modeling about 10 years ago- my output is minimal owing to time constraints and my stash grows ever larger! My principal hobby is re-enacting; WW1, ECW, WW2 and I am one of only two people in the world who does Russo-Japanese war (the other one is in California). I also wargame.

I build a wide range of subjects: At the moment I am on a bit of a space modeling kick
Asoka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Asoka »

Hello everybody!

I am Asoka from Sri Lanka, the country I believe is the farthest away from the bright center of the modeling universe, if it has one! (Somewhere like Tattooine! :lol: )

Started modeling in my teens, in '78 or '79 and enjoyed it for about 10 years before discovering greater joys like girls and beer! :twisted: Now suitably recovered, and back into building models. Happily married for 16 years, with two sons, 6 & 8. (and some Gouramis and Platys in a pond...)

I am an unrepentant Matchbox fan, having started off with them, and the old site has pictures of what has survived all these years. Mainly into WW2 aircraft and early jets, with some armour thrown in for good measure ;-)

Well, I guess that's about it...

Cheers! :grin:
Skill, Patience and Humbrol, with a hairy stick!
airbamby
starter kit

Post by airbamby »

Hi everybody,
My name is Darko, I am 34 years old, born and live in Belgrade, Serbia.
Started building models back in 1990 (built a few kits before that, but I was actually using kits as toys :) )
Currently I am building almost everything, but I prefer airplanes.
On old forum my nick was Samuraj77.

Best regards,
Darko
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi, I’m Stu from Tamworth in the UK. I’ve been a member of the UAMF for just over a year now and really enjoy the forum. I’ve had a fascination with aircraft for as long as I can remember and so my modelling tends to concentrate on aircraft in 1/72. Although I will build just about any subject I seem to have developed a thing for RAF trainers having built a few already and with plans for more.

Anyway I haven’t been very productive this year so I guess I should go back to the workbench and get on with something!

All the best

Stu
Old fashioned paint brush user.
Rzero
starter kit

Post by Rzero »

I had forgotten I had signed up to the original for. My little lad was born so every thing has took a back burner but slowly getting back into building now.
Do I really need another kit...
Royster
starter kit

Post by Royster »

Hi, I'm Roy,

Used to post often on the old site, but became more of a lurker due to one thing or another. But I'm still about..
Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Pluck to make amends!
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

My name is Jim and I don't finish much. Ok, now with that out of the way... Like most I started modeling as a young child, my first kit being the MPC boxing of the Airfix Sabre Dog. That started a lifetime interest in both models and Sabres. I gave it up during college and law school and returned to the fold as a break from studying for the bar. Oddly, after never being able to pass a bar in my life without going in, I passed and use the law as an excuse to not finish much and buy way too many kits. I claim that I build Canadian subjects in 1/72, but in reality I start Canadian subjects in 1/72. (I will never, ever, admit to the few devil scale (1/48) kits in the closet of no hope...never...) My hang up? Painting. I have an abject fear of my airbrush, so much so I've been in therapy for years. Maybe modern pharmacology will finally find the wonder drug I need and 2011 will be the year I finish something...but don't count on it! I don't remember how I discovered this place, but I've been here so long that most have just learned to accept my AMSie angst and decided that the best medicine is to incessantly tease me about it. With friends like these...

In real life I'm a lawyer who just started his own law firm and I reside in the posh burg of Akron, Ohio in a Castle...no...no...make that on Castle Blvd. Besides not finishing models, I enjoy writing, and tooling around the sky in a J-3 Cub. (Please note, that while some might find this hard to believe, I have actually completed every flight I have started.) If you haven't fallen asleep by now, and actually want to read more, check out my blog at http://www.ascalecanadian.blogspot.com;.

Jim
Read my inane modeling writings at:
http://ascalecanadian.com
Chris

Post by Chris »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:I don't think I did this on the other forum so a new forum comes new beginnings.

My screen name is Dirkpitt289, My real name is Dirk Pitt. The 289 designation stands for the engine size of my favorite car the Ford Mustang. As I grew older and went to school i was kidded by my teachers that I was named after the character "Dirk Pitt" created by Clive Cussler. While that wasn't true I do feel a kinship with the character after reading his books. I love the sea and old shipwrecks, and of course classic cars.

My story is a lot like most here. I first got into modeling as a kid. I remember being around 4 when my Dad bought the old Monogram kit of the Yellow 55 Chevy Badman He built it with my help and when it was done it was mine to play with.

This was another one of my first kits.

I built models on and off till about 8th grade where I made dioramas of a B=17 and B-24 for history projects. Then like so many others I discovered girls and that was the end. I remember giving all my dios to the little kid down the street.

I had a lot of jobs as an adult but the most notable was a Trooper for the New Jersey State Police and a C-130 Mechanic in the US Air Force. It wasn't until my first marriage of 10 years ended and a few years into my newest relationship did I get back into modeling. For some reason for Christmas my current girlfriend got me two models. One was the Titanic and the other was a 66 Mustang 2+2. Its been all down hill since then. :mrgreen:

I firmly believe its sites like this that have caused this hobby to flourish for me as opposed to petering out after those first two kits were done.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

See you around the board. ;-)
No Rommel's rod or red baron?

For shame! ;-)
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Post by Ian »

Hi all.

I am Ian Moore. I live in Stilton with my wife and two children. I work in IT for a large multinational retailer. I am 41 years young and have been modelling (on and off) since I was 9. I've been a member of UAMF since April 2006 (when the Airfix forum closed down). My main love is aircraft - WWII to the present. I do build armour and the occasional boat. Scale-wise I am back down to 1:72 again after forays into 1:144 & 1:48. I also paint Warhammer miniatures (to a fair standard) and dabble with watercolours. I read to a high standard and can write using joined-up writing.
I post less now than I used to and am rubbish at keeping everyone updated with what's on my bench :oops:
That said, I do still visit but obviously don't keep up to date as the first thing I knew about the move was Saturdays email (which I read about 10 minutes ago!).

I look forward to posting in our new home!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
sebastienne1
starter kit

Post by sebastienne1 »

Greetings from Sebastienne, although I quietly stuffed up the registration and so am now Sebastienne 1. I am a very, very slow modeller but hope to have a spitfire finished soon for your perusal. Slowness due to work and motherhood taking up a surprisingly large amount of time - and a proposed house move on the cards- don't move house, like EVER, it totally gets in the way of modelling - I had my paints just how I wanted them...fortunately due to being so slow there's a stash of, er, one, to transport...

Return to “Welcome!”