RAF Waddington Air Show 2011 (picture heavy)

Things that fly
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

RAF Waddington Air Show 2011 (picture heavy)

Post by mattbacon »

Not as much flying as usual, thanks to our military chaps having, err... military things to do, but an enjoyable day out, nontheless. If all you wanted to see was fast grey heavy metal, you were in for a disappointment, but Jack and I had a great time anyway - dad and son quality time is always valuable, whatever you're doing!

Royal Jordanian Falcons in their Extras - Air Force pilots, logistics by the national airline. Great fun, and they've obviously learned a thing or two from the Blades. They do a great "threading the needle" where one flies head on through the other three in a tight triangle...

USAF Thunderbirds doing their thing. I'm sorry to say, I found them rather underwhelming (other than the noise!). They may have had problems with crowd restrictions, but they spent FAR too much time "off stage" with nothing to watch as they turned around for the next manouevre - I don't think the F-16 is actually a very good display aircraft, They seem to me to be two-trick ponies: flying very close together, and flying towards each other very fast, and that's it. They need a better choreographer, and a better commentator (she could learn a lot from the funny, informative and self-deprecating guy from last years Turkish Stars!)

The Blades doing THEIR things. I think this is some of the best display flying in the world. Skilful, varied and ALWAYS something to watch and go "Oh, wow!" at...

...something I've never seen before: an actual B-17 in the air. Very impressive even in the gentle routine she flew.

Need I say more...?

A rare combination of pilots and aircraft meant the BBMF pair were cleared for a "synchro" display, which was great to watch, if hard to photograph.

To rather cheekily borrow a phrase from the Thunderbirds' commentator, HERE we see "the worlds finest precision aerobatic display team" in action...

Need I say more (part 2)? The double spiral climb was new, and awesome, even if she did do it with the airbrakes out so she didn't end up out of sight at 12,000 feet. One day...

Talk about "dancing the sky on laughter-silvered wings..." Team Viper were having fun.

So, overall I'd say it wasn't a _classic_ Waddington, but it was a Grand Day Out, and that's what counts. And I didn't even add anything to the stash...

bestest,
M.
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Re: RAF Waddington Air Show 2011 (picture heavy)

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

thanks for that :)

not managed to get to Wadd show for last 4 years for various reasons and i missed out yet again this year :sad: ...........my old home base too

thanks for taking the time to share the pics
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Great picture Matt. Thanks for posting them. :)

The Vulcan always impressed me :)
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Great pictures, Thanks for sharing
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Sad to say, I agree with your statement on the T-Birds. I have seen the Snowbirds and watched video on the Red Arrows and I feel they are far superior in showmanship.

Great pictures. Very hard for us in this neck of the woods to see a proper airshow anymore.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
glen3312
Getting well comfy!

Post by glen3312 »

cracking pic of the Hurri & the Lanc, fair play, :wanw
Mikeew
Active Participant

Post by Mikeew »

Great selection Matt, many thanks for sharing.
I too was underwhelmed by the T'birds when I saw them at RIAT a couple of years or so ago. I guess, in their defence they are billed as "an air force demonstration display team" rather then the Red's who are the "National Aerobatic Display team". Its true that whilst the F-16 is a superb aircraft and does "fast n' noisy" very well, its not best suited for aerobatic team display flying. That said, the Blue Angels have the bigger and faster F/A-18A as their mount and they CAN put on a spirited display!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks for sharing, Matt. Like those Hunters!!

Not to keep piling on the T-Birds, but their routine is rather overblown and underwhelming. I have a friend who is a big fan and he can't understand why I always run off and take static shots while he sits enthralled by them - well, while everyone is watching them ,the static displays are much quieter and I can get decent photos, all the while knowing that I'm not missing anything in the flying display.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great shots Matt. The B-17 was a nice surprise. I don't feel too bad about missing it this year but you've captured the highlights that both me and Abbie enjoyed looking at.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Aviation Hangar”