Dakotas

Things that fly
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Dakotas

Post by Ratch »

What's the differences between the C-53 Skytrooper, the C-47 Skytrain and the DC-3?
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Dakotas

Post by jssel »

Hi Ratch.

Found this

C-47
Initial military version of the DC-3 with seats for 27 troops, 965 built including 12 to the United States Navy as R4D-1
C-47A
C-47 with a 24-volt electrical system, 5,254 built including USN aircraft designated R4D-5
RC-47A
C-47A equipped for photographic reconnaissance and ELINT missions
SC-47A
C-47A equipped for Search Air Rescue; redesignated HC-47A in 1962
VC-47A
C-47A equipped for VIP transport role
C-47B
Powered by R-1830-90 engines with superchargers and extra fuel capacity to cover the China-Burma-India routes, 3,364 built
VC-47B
C-47B equipped for VIP transport role
XC-47C
C-47 tested with Edo Model 78 floats for possible use as a seaplane [17][18]
C-47D
C-47B with superchargers removed after the war
AC-47D
Gunship aircraft with three side-firing .30 in (7.62 mm) Minigun machine guns
EC-47D
C-47D with equipment for the Electronics Calibration, of which 26 were so converted by Hayes in 1953; prior to 1962 was designated AC-47D
NC-47D
C-47D modified for test roles
RC-47D
C-47D equipped for photographic reconnaissance and ELINT missions
SC-47D
C-47D equipped for Search Air Rescue; redesignated HC-47D in 1962
VC-47D
C-47D equipped for VIP transport role
C-47E
Modified cargo variant with space for 27–28 passengers or 18–24 litters
C-47F
YC-129 redesignated, Super DC-3 prototype for evaluation by USAF later passed to USN as XR4D-8
C-47L/M
C-47H/Js equipped for the support of American Legation United States Naval Attache (ALUSNA) and Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) missions
EC-47N/P/Q
C-47A and D aircraft modified for ELINT/ARDF mission, N and P differ in radio bands covered, while Q replaces analog equipment found on the N and P with a digital suite, redesigned antenna equipment and uprated engines
C-47R
One C-47M modified for high altitude work, specifically for missions in Ecuador
C-53 Skytrooper
Troop transport version of the C-47
XC-53A Skytrooper
One aircraft with full-span slotted flaps and hot-air leading edge deicing
C-53B Skytrooper
Winterised version of C-53 with extra fuel capacity and separate navigator's station, eight built
C-53C Skytrooper
C-53 with larger port-side door, 17 built
C-53D Skytrooper
C-53C with 24V DC electrical system, 159 built
C-117A Skytrooper
C-47B with 24-seat airline-type interior for staff transport use, 16 built

RAF designations

A Dakota IV in RAF Transport Command colors, owned by the Classic Air Force, operating out of Coventry Airport
Dakota I
RAF designation for the C-47 and R4D-1
Dakota II
RAF designation for nine C-53 Skytroopers received under the lend lease scheme. Unlike the majority of RAF Dakotas, these aircraft were therefore dedicated troop transports, lacking the wide cargo doors and reinforced floor of the C-47.
Dakota III
RAF designation for the C-47A.
Dakota IV
RAF designation for the C-47B.
Airspeed AS.61
Conversion of Dakota I aircraft
Airspeed AS.62
Conversion of Dakota II aircraft
Airspeed AS.63
Conversion of Dakota III aircraft

Hope this helps.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dakotas

Post by Ratch »

Thanks Jeff. The reason for my question is that, as part of my Northamptonshire Project, I'm looking to build both the C-47B Skytrain and the C-53 Skytrooper. The 315th Troop Carrier Group, 9th Air Force, 34th, 43rd, 309th & 310th Squadrons, were at Spanhoe from 7 February 1944 through to 14 April 1945.
I had asked a similar question a long tome ago, and was told to get a DC-3 for the C-53 and the difference from the C-47 was that the C-53 didn't have the bigger loading door. I got hold of two Italeri kits - the C-47 (127) and a DC-3 (132), which were stashed away for a very long time. Today I got them out and guess what - they're the same mouldings in different coloured plastic!
I did some reading up on the operations from Spanhoe...
September 1944 had already brought two cancelled missions for the 315th at Spanhoe. Over 1,100 paratroops had arrived at the base on 1 September, for Operation Linnett II, but these left on the 3rd when the operation was cancelled. British Paratroops arrived on the 8th for Operation Comet, which was cancelled on 10 September. A number of these airborne operations were planned and cancelled during the summer of 1944. Linnett II’s objective was to capture the Meuse crossings. Comet was to take the Rhine crossings in the Arnhem/Wesel area, but was cancelled in favour of the larger Operation Market Garden. On the 16th, men of the 82nd Airborne Division arrived at Spanhoe, and the base was sealed again for Operation Market Garden, 17-25 September 1944.
On the 17th two formations of 45 Dakotas in each formation successfully dropped their Paratroops south of Nijmegen for the loss of one Dakota. As soon as they returned to Spanhoe their American pararack fittings were replaced with British equipment. On the 18th, two formations of 27 aircraft departed with the 900 men of the 4th Parachute Brigade, who were dropped west of Arnhem. Two Dakotas were lost to flak and two more were damaged. Bad weather interfered with the third drop on the 21st. Two formations of 27 left with 720 men of the Polish Parachute Brigade. The first formation abandoned their mission due to foul weather. The second formation dropped their troops on the south bank of the Rhine, but the fierce opposition encountered resulted in the loss of six aircraft. Bad weather on the 22nd precluded operations, and the remainder of the Poles were dropped on the 23rd to join their colleagues. The final operation in support of Market Garden was on 26th September when 72 Dakotas took 334 British troops and 187,067lbs of combat equipment into an airstrip at Grave. By this time the failure of the operation was recognised and the withdrawal was underway.
The last big operation of the war for the men of the 315th Troop Carrier Group at Spanhoe came on 24th March 1945, with the crossing of the Rhine. Most of the Troop Carrier Groups of the 9th Air Force had moved to France by this time, but the three Groups of the 52nd Troop Carrier Wing, which included the 315th, were still in England.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Aviation Hangar”