OH-6A Cayuse Restoration

Things that fly
coptermech
Active Participant

OH-6A Cayuse Restoration

Post by coptermech »

Take a look at our OH-6A Cayuse getting her identity back after more than 2 decades. The restoration is nearly complete on this aircraft.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1739213296;
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: OH-6A Cayuse Restoration

Post by Gregers »

Hi Tony.

I can't get the facebook page to load up but I'm sure it's looking superb after seeing what you guys are doing with the Cessna O2.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Just search for Connecticut Air and Space Center on Facebook. The link opens on my end, but I don't know why it won't work.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I think I know why. My facebook account is probably dead as I haven't used it for about a year. I don't even remember the password anymore. I'll get Sarah to look it up using her account.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Latest work on the OH-6A Cayuse. The left hand side lettering is complete, and the airborne logo still needs to be painted on. The one shown in the pic is just a test for sizing.

Regards, Tony

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's wonderful Tony and IMHO the Cayuse is a great looking little helicopter. As I've never worked on aircraft I also find it interesting to see how the markings are applied to the full-size - the US Army logo would of course generally be a decal in a kit (no doubt some modellers would question the shape of the fuselage and would suggest a panel line wash and some weathering :roll: :ha: ).

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

This has been a year long process to get this aircraft back to this state. We were fortunate that it was a complete aircraft when we got it. It's taken time to remove everything that wasn't original, make small repairs, prep it for paint, etc. As you can see below, it was a bit blue when we got it. Also, do have pics of this OH-6A flying in Vietnam, courtesy of one of the pilots who flew her.

Regards, Tony

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, you've all certainly come a long way with the restoration and the photos of her actually serving in Vietnam are wonderful to see.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Hangar”