"Thunder over Flagstaff" Aviation Event 2016

Things that fly
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

"Thunder over Flagstaff" Aviation Event 2016

Post by PaulBradley »

"Thunder over Flagstaff" was the name of the event yesterday, though early on, the only thunder to be heard was accompanied by lightning and heavy rain.... In fact, the local peaks had their first dusting of snow this season:

Nevertheless, I felt I needed to put in an appearance, as this is my only chance to attend any sort of aviation event this year. An annual occasion (and more correctly a fly-in rather than an airshow), normally the military supports the event - in the past, we've had F-16s, F/A-18s, T-45s and AV-8Bs, as well as numerous helicopters over the years. Alas, there was not a single military aircraft to be seen this year, and precious little else as the inclement weather across the state decimated the fly-in. When we arrived, there were just two aircraft on the display ramp, including this nice CJ-6:

Parked on the GA ramp were a couple of interesting aircraft amongst the usual spam cans - this very nice Embraer Phenom:

...and a Mitsubishi MU-2:

This took off later - very noisy!

As a regional airport, there are two (yes, TWO!) commercial flights a day, in and out, operated by SkyWest as part of the American Eagle program, using the Bombardier CRJ-100:

As no-one seemed to know what was going on and little was happening, we were on the point of giving up the lost cause, when this happened:

Woohoo! The world's last flying PB4Y Privateer, accompanied by a full-scale replica Spitfire IX!

So, our patience was rewarded. We helped the Spitfire pilot (an acquaintance of my friend) park his steed, had a nice chat with him and one of the Privateer crew, then called it a day. An interesting morning, but it is a shame that the weather ruined the event, and the lack of military support was disappointing. I am hopeful things will be better next year.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: "Thunder over Flagstaff" Aviation Event 2016

Post by DavidWomby »

Pity about the weather but thank you, Paul. The Privateer was a very unusual thing to see flying. I had no idea one was still airworthy.

The Spitfire replica is intriguing. It looks very convincing - especially in flight. Do you know who built it?

David
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I'm glad your patience was rewarded in the end; nice to see the Privateer :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Cheers, guys. The Spitfire was built by Bob DeFord, from Prescaot - about 60 miles form here. Here's a little article on the EAA website about the project:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... in-oshkosh;

It looks pretty good, but doesn't sound like a Spitfire should! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Impressive none the less Paul. Nice shots
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
PaulBradley
Staring out the window