Do You Own Any Bits of Aircraft?

Things that fly
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Do You Own Any Bits of Aircraft?

Post by Gregers »

Nice one Splash.
Incidentally when I was in my early 20's I did allot of temping and one job (for a well known supermarket chain) was at part of the Sherburn airfield site no longer in use for flying. I got to look around one of the old hangers where the Swordfish were built. Interesting stuff and a nice bit of history, only after I had had a couple of looks around the hanger someone told me the building was condemed as the roof cladding was falling in.

all the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I have part of the German airship SZ11 shot down over Cuffley by Leefe- Robinson in 1916- it is currently sitting next to my Airfix Be2c as a reminder to start building the latter.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

I have this piece cut from C-47 42-100591 'Tico Belle'. It was cut from one of her original panels during a restoration and they give them to people who donate to the Valiant Air Command museum. She was part of D-Day, Arnhem and the Berlin Airlift and still flies today here in Florida.

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Gregers wrote:
jssel wrote:Now that is really nice Paul. Antique aircraft owners will tell you it all starts with the first part you obtain.
I know what you mean 8-) .

I do have a few bits and bobs. Oldest piece is a small model boat made from pieces of a crashed Spitfire, the hull is perspex and the sails are copper

In the loft (somewhere) is a fuse box cover from a B25, It was from the one called 'Gorgeous George Ann' in the film Hanover street.

I also have a turbine guide vane from one of the two Mig 29's that collided at RAF Fairford.

In the loft I have some small solid hydraulic pipe and a section of fuselage skin from an AV8A

Also a pitot tube from a Harrier GR3

And last but not least....this.

It's the fuselage of a 1947 Cessna 140. It'll never fly again and will be a mobile exhibit when done. As you can see there is extensive front end damage from a crash some 18 years ago. Since these photos were taken because of a misunderstanding the tail has been cut off just behind the cockpit but it is still there and can be re-attached though it'll be a difficult repair.
doubt I'll get it done for the 'large scale aircraft' G/B though :lol:

I'm also in the process of trying to acquire another 1/1 scale project, but more on that if and when it happens.

All the best.

Greg
It's unlikely to fly again but it doesn't look irreparable Greg.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

It'll certainly never fly again now. due to a misunderstanding the rear fuselage has been cut off. Having had it's back broken it's repairable as a static but could never fly again without major surgery. The pain will be heating the panels (0.98 T6 ally) enough so they will straighten without melting them. All good fun of course. Oh. the other project that I have aquired is the cockpit section of an ALON Ercoupe.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I only have 2 as of 18th August and they are:

When I turned 21 my Late Nan bought me the Navigator's seat from a Nimrod MR.2.
(One on the right in the pic).
Fast forward 5 years because of a life threatening incident at work my Mrs bought me the nose cone cover from a Harrier GR.7.
Does anyone have a pic of one of these on a harrier?
Ok so lets see what everyone else has!
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Two new e-Bay purchases:

Sperry Gyrosyn CL2 gyro unit - as used on Canberras, Shacks and other large aircraft. Wish I could find out what exact type it came out of! Was purchased from Phoenix, so who knows?

And this Badin Anemometre 35-11 Type 102-1:

Post-war French air speed indicator, and also purchased from a chap in Phoenix but other than that, I cannot tell you anything! Ideas?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Looking at the speed range may give a clue. The VNE makes it too slow for the likes of the Magister. even the bigger stuff like the Noratlas and Atlantique. Maybe something like a French built hgh performance piston training/liaison type?
Nice finds though Paul.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

That's what I was thinking, too.

I did hear back from the seller - he was given these in a box of stuff from the CAF in Mesa, AZ, some years ago. They told him they were from the CASA 2-111 that they flew before it crashed a good few years ago, and were surplus to requirements. Quite how true that is is open to question - though plausible, it seems unlikely. There were a handful of Canberras stored at Falcon Field for some years, so perhaps the Sperry unit came from one of them.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

IF I can find it I have a book on the Battle of Britain film. I will have a look for any casa 2-111 cockpit shots to see if any of the ASIs match this one.

All the best

Greg
Albert Einstein
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

No photos (yet? :-D), but I have accumulated over the years, mostly through contacts at work:
  • a scrapped titanium RCS duct support bracket from the Harrier II production line
  • an unused inside window surround from Concorde
  • and a scrapped centrifugal compressor impeller from a Rolls-Royce engine of unknown type
By "scrapped", I mean that the parts, for whatever reason, failed quality control checks and were not used in production aircraft or engine, but rather than being thrown away or recycled, they passed into other hands and eventually to me. ;-) The impeller even has "SCRAP" hand-engraved into its surface on the rear face; that doesn't stop it from being a very useful teaching aid -- nothing like an example of the real thing to help students understand what one looks like!

And, of course, in line with the dictum that the entry in a dictionary for the word "clutter" should have a footnote: "see Engineering Laboratory" :mrgreen:, the labs at the university where I work used to have lots of bits and bobs of defunct light aircraft. We reckoned that we could build a full airframe (a composite Cessna 152/172) if we had an engine and prop to power it :roll: 8-). Unfortunately, that was a little while (and a couple of lab rebuilds) ago, so I don't know if we've still got them; they certainly aren't where they were...
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
RayS

Post by RayS »

RAAF Mirage IIIO Master Arm Panel and Master Warning Panel

Ray
-----------------------

Return to “Aviation Hangar”