Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association Members Day 02/10/16

Things that fly
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association Members Day 02/10/16

Post by iggie »

I was lucky enough to secure tickets for this event for the first time since becoming a member; numbers are restricted (I understand) to around 2500 and the event is held at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Visitors Centre at RAF Coningsby, Lincs.
Thankfully the weather was excellent for this time of year, although a little bright for photography and a little too windy for the BBMF to fly some of the earlier Spitfires. However, we were treated to two Hurricanes and one Spitfire, plus of course the beautiful Lancaster.
It is a very low key event, and I guess does not class as a public 'airshow' as this was the first time I have been directly underneath (by about around 500') 8 Merlin engines flying in formation..... :shock: :-D .
Words cannot express the emotions that this can instil, but I've noticed that it always seems to coincide with getting a lump of grit or several in my eyes. Seeing these wonderful aircraft flying as a living tribute to those who served to maintain our freedom and our way of life never ceases to fill me with pride and sorrow in equal measure.
Despite challenging light conditions (mainly shooting into direct sun or bright white cloud) I have salvaged a few shots worth showing (I hope!); please share a thought for those whom the BBMF honour, and also for the guys and girls of the flight, and the wider RAF whose efforts allow so many of us to continue to see such a spectacle
Hurricanes PZ865 & LF363 (Both Mk.IIc)
Lancaster BI PA474

Spitfire Mk.XVI TE311

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association Members Day 02/10/1

Post by Gregers »

Just one word........ Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Aviation Hangar”