Photo's of the Duxford Air Festival 2017 Day Two

Things that fly
Sunray
Active Participant

Photo's of the Duxford Air Festival 2017 Day Two

Post by Sunray »

Here are a few photo's from Day Two at Duxford. So far on my flickr page I have in excess of 650 photo's taken at the Festival and I have loads more left to. Here is the link if you want to see the lot.https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/ ... 1411114693 And here are the photo's.

There are more to follow.
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Photo's of the Duxford Air Festival 2017 Day Two

Post by jssel »

Super shots. I need a new background but which one.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

jssel wrote:Super shots. I need a new background but which one.
Thanks Jeff. Since you are from the "New World" I would pick the B-17 "Sally B" & the P-51D "Miss Velma. I have had a tour around the B-17 and she's a canny bird.
Cheers
Ian

skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by skypirate »

Excellent photos! Wish I was there!
Did you enhance them on the PC?
Colour saturation is rich and deep. Those reds look crimson.
Love the Tiger Moth shot, among others.

Cheers,

David
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

skypirate wrote:Excellent photos! Wish I was there!
Did you enhance them on the PC?
Colour saturation is rich and deep. Those reds look crimson.
Love the Tiger Moth shot, among others.

Cheers,

David
Thanks David. All the flying photo's were taken with a Nikon D7200 with a 55mm-300mm lens and most of the ground photo's. The reminder were taken with a Nikon D5100 with a 18mm-105mm lens. All were taken in RAW with the photo's on Saturday (blue sky all day) with the cameras set to aperture priority and on Sunday (mostly cloudy white sky) with the camera's set to shutter priority. For taking photo's on a bright sky I have the exposure set plus about one or two clicks (0.3 -0.7). This is to over expose the background so that the aircraft gets the right exposure and doesn't appear as a silhouette against the sky. For props I normally have the speed set between 1/320 to 1/400 of a second to get the prop blur to give the feeling of speed. For jets the speed is set to 1/1000 of a second plus. I find the prop photo's the hardiest to take, to get the prop blur and ground blur in, but try to have the aircraft in focus and sharp, if you know want I mean. The problem I always have is that I can never can find my glasses when I take photo's, so when I check them on the cameras viewing screen they always look out of focus to me. So I don't get to see them clearly until I get home!

I use 5 high speed 64gig SD cards and at the end of the I transfer all the photo's (approx 8000 images) to a portable hard drive, ready for the next day. It sounds a lot but not with today's cameras. At the start of the day I keep the unused SD cards in my pocket with a spare battery ready for a quick change if required. Once I get home I use Photoshop to tidy up and crop the images if needed convert them to jpg. The hardest job is to pick which photo's to post up. On my flickr page for the Duxford Air Festival I have at the moment around 670 images and I have still thousands of photo's to go through.

As camera gear goes, my kit isn't expensive. The D7200 with a 18mm-105mm lens and a 55mm-300mm cost around £1200 if not cheaper in the UK. I am sorry but I don't know the prices in Australian Dollars. I like using this setup as its light, you can use it easily all day and not get tired. My brother in-law uses Canon cameras and with 400mm lenses which is excellent kit but to me they are a bit too heavy for me, but I think its just horses for courses. I have seen people using bridge cameras and taking amazing photo's, a lot better than mine.

Anyway sorry for going on but I hope this helps someone. So if you want to see a few more here is the link again https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/ ... 1411114693

Cheers
Ian

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Ian,

there is no doubt you have mastered airshow photography with your setup! I hope you spend a little time not looking through a viewfinder!
Do you use a tripod or a monopod at airshows? Tried any video?

I am using an Olympus OM-D EM-5 micro four thirds DSLR, mainly because it is so compact and light (Olympus always have done small form factor digital cameras). I only have the 2 kit lenses, so now I have a second body to avoid the pain of changing lenses. And I have one battery grip. These cameras (the original model) are so sophisticated in terms of functionality that I still don't know how to make full use of them! In the last 3-4 years there are newer models with WiFi etc. (and they handle the auto-focus tracking better than mine).

I recently sold off my Canon 40D because it was such a monster compared to the Olympus. I still have an early Canon DSLR (equivalent to the Rebel XT and lighter than the D40) and a Canon film SLR which doesn't see much use these days. I must get some fast SD cards like you have. And more batteries! And a longer telephoto lens!

Keep up the great work!

David
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks David. I sometimes use a monopod but it depends if I had my Weedabix for breakfast. My first two cameras were Olympus, an Olympus Trip and a OM-10. Excellent pieces of kit. I have used them both in the arctic and the desert and they worked perfectly. My Trip was covered in dents where I used it as a hammer once and it still worked and I have still got the OM-10.

The D7200 has got WiFi, etc, on it but to be honest I find you play about with them for a few weeks when you first get them and then you tend to forget about using the new gadgets, if you know what I mean.

I have just posted up a few more photo's from Sunday on flickr and here are a one or two.

Cheers
Ian

iggie

Post by iggie »

More great shots Ian!
I've bitten the bullet and decided to go to Flying Legends on Saturday July 8th; are you going to be there?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

Terrific photos Ian, so clear and vibrant
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks Billy.
iggie wrote:More great shots Ian!
I've bitten the bullet and decided to go to Flying Legends on Saturday July 8th; are you going to be there?
I am sad to say but no. I have had a look at the confirmed lineup so far and its looks excellent. When we went there we got there about 7:30am, put out our chairs to reserve our space (German towel style) and went for a cooked breakfast in the restaurant between the "Historical Duxford Hanger" and the "Battle of Britain Hanger" at the back of the square which I recommend. The programmes for the Air Festival cost £8 and the "Flight Line Walk" cost £6. Iggie it is all well worth the money. Have you been to "The Shuttleworth Collection" airshows as they aren't that far from you? They are well worth a visit as well.

My next airshow is Sunderland as its my local one and it only takes me about 15mins to get there and its free. The Royal Navy sometimes sends a ship and the Royal Marines do a beach landing as well as all the flying. The other good thing about Sunderland is that on Friday they do a night time air show as well as the Saturday and Sunday. Anyway mate I know you will have a great day at Duxford.
Cheers
Ian

skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I was last at Flying Legends in 2000. It was fabulous! I was still using film in those days.

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Outstanding pictures. Thank you for sharing them 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Stunning photography - thanks for sharing.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thank you very much for sharing your photos and your techniques.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Aviation Hangar”