A day at the races -- Donington 2014

Pictures of real vehicles
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

A day at the races -- Donington 2014

Post by mattbacon »

Another very enjoyable day out for Jack and I at the Donington Historic Festival -- my favourite motor racing event. So much more enjoyable than F1...

The Cooper T38 (no, I hadn't heard of it either...) was the ultimate winner of the RAC Woodcote Trophy for pre-'56 sports cars.

The D-types were being driven hard...

A photo more atmospheric than good, but you don't see an Alfa 6C3000PR "Disco Volante" very often...

The pre-66 2-litre race has been a shoo-in for Lotus Cortinas in previous years, but this time the best looking car in the race, Andrew Banks' Giulia Sprint GTA, was the leader from start to finished, closely pursued (as you can see) by the legendary Jackie Oliver in the BMW 2002. Sadly, we didn't get to see Jackie O in his brilliant yellow 250SWB this weekend, but he was racing it on Saturday.

The Minis were in there at every corner... with a special technique:

This guy is NOT in a spin. We were standing at "the Esses", a 60 degree right left jink in the track. The fast Mini drivers (and only the Minis, not the Cortinas or BMWs) twitched their cars across the track about 20 yards before the corner, slid into it sideways, and then got back onto the power to straight line out of the exit, like this chap:

Fantastic to watch...

..and John Surtees was driving demo laps in Lola T70 Can-Am coupe...

bestest,
M.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: A day at the races -- Donington 2014

Post by mattbacon »

You get a better class of car park, too...

(If anyone remembers "CBK 51G" from the 101 Gems table, this will look familiar!)

...as will this, from my build earlier this year. I think it's the very one I copied...

It was all the same colour all over in real life, honest!

I loved it when I built it, and I love it even more now I've seen one...

That, my friends, is Diablo Purple!

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: A day at the races -- Donington 2014

Post by PaulBradley »

Vroom! Love these little events - we'd go to Thruxton quite a bit to see F3 and BTCC, back in the day.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “The Garage”