Falklands - Task Force Sails

Boats, ships, submarines and things maritime.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Falklands - Task Force Sails

Post by PaulBradley »

April 5th, 1982 - HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible begin their long voyage to recapture the Falklands. Many folk took a day of work (or school!) to see them off. My brother and I went to the Ferry Gardens in Gosport, but that was packed. We managed to sneak into a nearby block of flats and get a spot on their raised patio. My uncle was aboard the Hermes, so it was a deeply personal time. My camera was a very old Russian Zenit, so the shots are rather poor, but historic I suppose.

Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
MerlinJones

Re: Falklands - Task Force Sails

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks for sharing, Paul. How was your uncle by the end of the trip?

On the one hand, I remember it all so very clearly and it doesn't seem all that long ago. I mean, we're only talking about the 80's right? I know the 70's are now history, but the 80's?
That was only a few years... :oops:

Then again, looking at the photos of people and the cars and so on, it really was another world from today.

Regards,
Bruce
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

He was fine, Bruce, thanks for asking. He doesn't talk much about it though. He was one of the last old-fashioned chippies in the Navy. His action station was in damage control, so he would have been in the thick of it, had Hermes been hit. My family and I got to go to dockside in Pompey Dockyard for their return sometime in July, but I wasn't allowed to take my camera for that...

I've other photos from the periphery of the war to share later.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

MerlinJones wrote:On the one hand, I remember it all so very clearly and it doesn't seem all that long ago. I mean, we're only talking about the 80's right? I know the 70's are now history, but the 80's?
That was only a few years... :oops:
Then again, looking at the photos of people and the cars and so on, it really was another world from today.
Yeah, seems like yesterday..... :shock:

No cellphone cameras in the photo!!!
Paul

Return to “The Shipyard”