>> Photobucket discussion thread << FIXED APPLIED

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: >> Photobucket discussion thread <<

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:
beany wrote:There is a work around chaps - courtesy of John Irwing's post on Revellations;
add "~original" (but not the quotes) after .jpg and before [/img etc..
That doesn't work for my existing images, did you edit your images within PB and the suffix suggests a pre-edited version?
For my photo above I just edited the link name within the post without going on to PB itself and doing anything to the image there.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
IvanV22
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by IvanV22 »

Just got my notice on email today. None of my pics are efektet yet....also I have not used PB for a while..... I was planning to start uploading pics of my last ship as sone as it is finished ( depending on how sunny the summer is). Just think I'll sit on the fence a few weeks and see what happens, no way I,m paying 400 usd. I see some of you are suggesting other sites, will look at them.
Best from Ivan
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yep they finally caught up with me today too :evil:
IvanV22 wrote:Just got my notice on email today. None of my pics are efektet yet....also I have not used PB for a while..... I was planning to start uploading pics of my last ship as sone as it is finished ( depending on how sunny the summer is). Just think I'll sit on the fence a few weeks and see what happens, no way I,m paying 400 usd. I see some of you are suggesting other sites, will look at them.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:Yep they finally caught up with me today too :evil:
IvanV22 wrote:Just got my notice on email today. None of my pics are efektet yet....also I have not used PB for a while..... I was planning to start uploading pics of my last ship as sone as it is finished ( depending on how sunny the summer is). Just think I'll sit on the fence a few weeks and see what happens, no way I,m paying 400 usd. I see some of you are suggesting other sites, will look at them.
Just means you need to apply the fix as shown above if you want to make your images visible again on this forum, for example...
...shameless stolen from your workbench thread James for illustrative purposes only :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Thanks Al I must have miss-typed when I tried
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Me, too. I told them what they could do with their service......
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Received the email today. Checked my workbench and my pics have gone :cry:
If they don't like the 3rd party hosting why did they have that facility in the first place? And 400 dollarydoos is a little too much for this proletariat.

Nigel
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

It gets even better. I have a paid Plus 20 account and apparently I won't be able to hotlink after Dec. 2018. Granted, that's a way off but I've got years of model photos stored there. It'll be wicked fun moving them somewhere else that's not highway robbery and I hope I remember to cancel my PB account before they try extorting $400 out of me for the "privilege".

Read the TOS: http://photobucket.com/terms which is bad news for anyone not already paying out the nose. This has to be one of the most suicidal business moves I've seen in a while. I've been paying them for years and now they're just going to fritter that away in an ill-conceived cash grab.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

So they're also putting the boot into users who are already paying them and wanting the same extortionate amount of money. Typically, this looks like a case of loyalty, schmoyalty - a lot of companies bang on about having customer loyalty and the importance thereof to them yadda, yadda, but ultimately in many cases it's just a lot of marketing hot air. They don't care and the best deals go to new customers. Apart from PB who appears to be willing to rob all and sundry!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

beany wrote:There is a work around chaps - courtesy of John Irwing's post on Revellations;
add "~original" (but not the quotes) after .jpg and before [/img etc.
Thanks for this Al, it's worked for me too. All my images had disappeared from every one of my builds but I have just edited them all with your fix and all pics have come back.

Unfortunately I couldn't do the GB threads though, because these are sadly 'Locked'.

But, being a cynical old git, I bet this workaround is only going to be a temporary fix until PB rumble it.....

Time to look elsewhere for image hosting. To be honest I was getting a bit fed up with PB anyway, it was getting painfully slow to use, dragged down by ads etc. and (for me anyway) it wouldn't let me do multiple uploads of several pics at once, had to upload them one at a time, which made forum contributions painfully slow to do. Maybe they should now replace the 'B' in their name with an 'F' :lol:

Thanks again,

Zee28
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

You are meant to be able to download your albums - what happens is you request a download and you get emailed (eventually) a link to download a zip file of your images that will expire after 24hrs. People had reported that it was not working and at the moment I get it to do anything. I have all my build photos backed-up on my PC but not 200 misc photos mainly of the workbench.

So as I knew it was possible to look at the individual photos if were doing from the PB website I decided to spoof the cookie information and download the files myself. The following is rather technical and requires access to a linux device or shell emulator such Cygwin or Bash on Windows 10, so I suspect it will be of limited use to many. There may be a native Windows way of doing it using a windows version of CURL.

1. Go to the album you wish to download. Select all the images (fussy as the Select All doesn't appear till you have selected one)
2. Get Links and paste the forum links ([img]...) into a text editor
3. Use Find&Replace to delete all the tags. Save it somewhere your Linux shell can access
4. use dos2unix on the text file to change the line endings
5. Run the following script which will download the files while pretending the request came from a PB session:

Code: Select all

while read f ; do curl -X GET -e "$f.html" -O $f ; done < pathtofileofimages
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a great tip for getting back what is actually your own property James and I'm sure it'll be useful to many who understand the process 8-)

You lost me however at zip file....... :oops: :roll: :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I had moved some of my files to a some website I have as part of my work account but though I've been there for 20years :roll: who knows what tomorrow brings. Last night I took the plunge and got a hosted site from One.com for the the princely total of £20 for the first year and I guess around £40 for subsequent years. It's their most basic hosting service and I only get 25GB of space but since all my resized photo currently take up less the 0.5GB it will see me through and as I have registered the domain name even if I move to another hosting company I should be able to re-register the domain.

I also have found a search and replace extension for Chrome that makes it easier to update a lot of posts. I start with the main thread and set up the search and replace text that I wish to use. I then Ctrl-LeftClick on the [Edit] button for all my posts with images. This opens them in separate tabs. I then go through the tabs applying "replace all" and hitting submit.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

I have a Plus 20 acount with PB, so I have about 15 months to sort out photos hosted there on various forums, I think I will look at hosting them myself, something else to get in the way and limit my time available for building models, woodturning, photography etc.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Piecemeal editing locked threads such as Group Builds will be a nightmare for the moderators, is there a way to unlock them so that we can each edit our own posts whilst still preventing new posts being made?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”