Image posting: Copyright adherence and Facebook as a host

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Image posting: Copyright adherence and Facebook as a host

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

As the Admins worked through the PostImage and PhotoBucket issues, to include some post-event cleanup/fix up in Galleries and other historical threads, we noticed a disturbing trends of image posting that we wish to bring to your attention.

1. Our Forum Rules have a section, extracted below, which some members seem to have forgotten.
Posting of Copyright Material on This Forum (extracted)
-- You may post images and material to which you hold the copyright to on this website.
-- Please do not post material for which you do not hold the copyright. All pictures posted elsewhere on the internet are copyright to somebody, and so should not be reproduced without permission.
-- It is permissable to post a link (URL) on this forum to a picture on the internet.
-- Some sites, such as Wikimedia Commons, have libraries of pictures which may be reproduced, and have licences which give the terms for usage. Some organisations policies which allow their images to be reproduced with acknowledgement.
-- It is the responsibility of the poster to check the copyright of all images. The Admin team reserves the right to remove images or other material which infringe copyright.
2. Facebook (FB) is a poor host for storing images to be posted on UAMF and should not be used. FB image links go stale after a short period, looks like 2-3 months, and all we are left with is X's -- the post and topic content becomes meaningless. This has impacted the Galleries and is starting to impact the historical value of our community and the enjoyment by all members.

Thank you,
for the Admin Team
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Image posting: Copyright adherence and Facebook as a ho

Post by SJPONeill »

After the Photobucket debacle, I created a new blog on Wordpress [https://sjponeillmodelsblog.wordpress.com/]and use this to store my images to link into post here...I put absolutely no work into it other than to use it has a drafting pad before I post into one of the forums...to save space, I usually resize the images down to 800 px...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The implication of the first point John raises it that you should not directly include images from sites you do not own or give your permission to link their images aka "hotlinking". Simply instead include a link to the webpage containing the particular image. See http://awesomelytechie.com/dont-hotlink/; for more detail about hotlinking and why it is bad.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

...and I just noticed that Wordpress have changed its setup so you can no longer left-click for a 'copy image address' option...I know have to go into my media library myself to get a specific image url...ironically that is still less steps than doing the same with PB...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”