Posting Pictures - Non-Post Image Users

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Posting Pictures - Non-Post Image Users

Post by AndrewR »

Posting Pictures

To display pictures on this website, you will need to upload them to an Image Hosting Service such as Picture Trail, Photo Bucket or Image Shack. We do not store pictures directly on this site.

Please make sure your pictures are no more than 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels high 1024 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high, but we encourage the smaller 800x600, 640x480 sizes because the new large size may slow post processing and cause scrolling for some users. New image size effective 25 March 2017.

The pictures are displayed using the Img and /Img tags. Highlight the URL where your picture is stored on the web, and click on the Img button at the top of the editing box. This will enclose it with Img tags in square brackets. You can do a "preview" to see if the image comes out all right.

Many Photo Imaging Sites (such as Photobucket) will generate the URLs with the Img tags already pre-generated for you. In that case, just paste them directly into your posting.

Each of the Photo Imaging Sites does things a little differently, and keeps changing their methods too, so if you can't figure out how to do it, post a question in this forum.
migdriver
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Posting Pictures

Post by migdriver »

:oops: ok need learn how to up load onto my in fernlal macine now,getting tired now ,ilgive abreak hope fully be back later,with pics thank y0u agian.
THE COSMIC JESTER IS WATCHING !!!
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Hmm. I thought I'd done everything right, but my latest post in the Hampden SKGB forum just gave "image not found" symbols when trying to show a flickr image.

That has the /in/photostream extension on, so if I take that off I get

And as you can see, neither works...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Looking at the Properties of those links, two things immediately spring to mind.

1 - The Address (URL) doesn't end in .jpg, so the computer won't recognise it as apicture.

2 - The size of the image is very small, which suggests you might be trying to post a thumbnail, rather than the full picture.

Regards,
Bruce
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

Aha - finally found how to get the image URL.

For posterity, Flickr users can go to "actions", then "View all sizes". Pick the size you want, right click and select "Copy Image URL"

A 7 | 12 B
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Many people, both young and old, seem to have trouble finding our instructions ion How To Post Pictures.

I've copied a suitable response within a Thread devoted to the subject;

Every single item on the Internet has its own, unique address, or URL, (Uniform Resource Locator). Sometimes, this is confusingly referred to as the filename. This includes items such as the background to a web page, blocks of text, graphics and pictures.

Most pictures nowadays are in what is called a jpeg format and their URL, or filename, will end in .jpg.

Other formats for images are usually bitmap (.bmp) or gif (.gif).

You can usually find the URL for any object, including pictures, by right-clicking it and selecting Properties from the menu which appears. Properties are usually found at the bottom of the menu, usually at the bottom.

You can copy the URL and then paste it into your post.
Make sure that you get all of the URL. It should start with http:// and end with .jpg, (or .bmp or .gif).

Once you have pasted the URL into your post, you can get the Forum software to turn it into an image for everyone to see.

To do this, highlight all of the URL and then hit the Img button.

This will place [/img] at the end of the URL and [img] at the start of it.

(Some strange people prefer to do this manually, typing in the square brackets and letters, but they often end up including unnecessary spaces and it won't then work).

Sometimes, you will find that your picture appears on the web page, but is too large to see without using a scroll bar.
Sometimes, it may be too tiny to be of use.

To manage this, you need to make your picture the right size for posting. We recommend a size of 600-900 pixels wide and no bigger, please.

Have fun.

Regards,
Bruce
Brickie

Post by Brickie »

Indeed. What I found with Flickr was that it was somewhat reluctant to tell you what the URL of your actual image was, preferring instead to give you the URL to their page hosting it. Right-clicking the image there simply informs you that this image is rights-reserved (to stop people downloading it without permission...)

A 7 | 12 B
Boombox
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Boombox »

guys i need help, my photos are really large poster sized images with a resolution of 4608x3456 and i am not able to upload them because the website says that they are too big. how do i reduce the size of my images?
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

I use http://www.irfanview.com/; to resize ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gomergizmo »

There is a nice little program called fotosizer. You can batch resize multiple pictures with it.
Professor Polarbear
RyanW655
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by RyanW655 »

Has this worked?
I'am more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.

My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYtLeF ... nKiwwg71Bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

RyanW655 wrote:Image

Has this worked?
Yes, it has! :)
Up in the Great White North
RyanW655
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by RyanW655 »

At last, I can now start posting pictures like my Fairey Battle in the aviation section.
I'am more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.

My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYtLeF ... nKiwwg71Bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antonioz
Getting well comfy!

Post by Antonioz »

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1577/1 ... 893177.jpg;
Testing to see if I have uploaded a pic ok

Having read AndrewR tips on uploading photos and having success first time I would recommend to any ones follow his advice as it was spot on so cheers AndrewR and Tally Ho chaps !
AGZ Tally Ho Chaps !
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Use Preview

Post by JamesPerrin »

A tip for everyone having trouble posting pics. Use "Preview" this will show you how your post will appear including photos and show problems such as missing [img] [/img] around the link to your photo or if it is too big. The "Preview" button is available is you use the "Full editor". There is a link to this beneath the quick reply box at the bottom of each topic page or it is used by default when starting a topic.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”