Help re posting pictures

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Help re posting pictures

Post by ShaunW »

For Gawd's sake, someone please give me an idiot's guide (and I do mean idiot!) to posting pics on the site. I've uploaded a few pics to Photobucket, pre-sized at 800 x 600 pixels ready to go on here but I'm stuck. How on earth do I get the pics from one site to the other?!? Please be gentle, I'm technology thick and have never posted pics anywhere before :)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
peebeep

Re: Help re posting pictures

Post by peebeep »

In Photobucket copy the IMG Code, you will see this either on the album thumbnails, or on the page where the photo is stored. Paste the IMG code into your post and the image will become visible.

peebeep
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

In theory it's fairly simple - you just need the Image URL and put it between [img] tags. Getting the Image URL can be the tricky bit, especially with photo sharing sites like Photobucket. I use Flickr, and you have to do a bit of delving to get past their protection features.

But let's start with an easy example: Follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitfire;.

Right-click on the picture at the top right, and you should be offered the option to Copy Image URL. Click on this.

Then reply to this post and type {img}, then paste the URL in here (either right-click again and select "paste" or hold Ctrl and press V) and finish with {/img}. Only use the square brackets instead of curly ones.

You should then have a picture of a spitfire in your post. Try it.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

There are different computer systems out there and there are different places online, where you can stick your images.

This means that there can be different methods to get pictures from one part of the Internet, to another, ie From an "image hosting site" to this Forum.

For example, I am using Windows "Vista" and when I "right click" the image in Brickie's link, I do not see Copy Image URL.

Both Paul and Brickie have seemingly ignored this post;
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=237;

...And both have ignored the handy Image button, marked Img, in your message making box.

I accept that we could do with simple guides for each of the Image Hosting sites in use.

Common Image Hosting sites include;
Picture Trail - My preferred option.
Image Shack
Photobucket

Still with me?
Okay,let's try this...

Every single item on every single web page has it's own "address". This allows your computer to find it.

If you right-click on anything that is fixed, on any page, you should get a menu with Properties at the bottom of it.
The Properties are the details about the item that your computer needs, to be able to find the item and to display it to you properly.

Try right-clicking on the blue, surrounding this Forum.

Now, if you select Properties, you should get a box with several items in it, one of which should be the Address (URL).

Try this on an image you have on an Image Hosting site.

Highlight this URL, right click it and select Copy. Make sure that you have copied the whole address...

(The vast majority of images have an address with .jpg or .bmp or .gif at the end of them. This tells your computer that the item is an image).

You have now copied the address of the image into your computer.

Make a post, exactly as you have been doing up to now and, in the big, empty space, right click and select Paste.

The URL of the item/image should appear in the message box.

Highlight just the URL and then click the Img button, at the top of the Message box.

You will notice that img appears at the beginning of the URL and /img appears at its end, in square brackets.

When you Submit your message, the image will appear in your post.

Regards,
Bruce
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for your replies and I'll give it a whirl tomorrow when I should have more time and a clearer head as I've had a couple of tinnes now :)

Regards

Shaun.

IPMS#12300
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

MerlinJones wrote:Both Paul and Brickie have seemingly ignored this post;
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=237;

...And both have ignored the handy Image button, marked Img, in your message making box.
Of course you can use the img button, but Photobucket (which the OP refers to) and I would would guess most hosts, show the code with tags attached on the relevant photo page or album. All you have to do is copy and paste. Photobucket even has a short cut copy command, simply click into the dialogue containing the address and it copies immediately to your clip board.

peebeep
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks for your time in helping boys, pics have now been successfully posted :)

Regards

Shaun.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”