The old UAMF, now migrated from Forumer/Yuku to TapaTalk

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The old UAMF, now migrated from Forumer/Yuku to TapaTalk

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Update, Oct 2017. Our old site has been migrated (rehosted) yet again: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gregersfr/ will get you there.

Many, if not all, of the comments below are still applicable, except the new host is TapaTalk, not Yuku. We still intend to do little about them as it is an archive. Most involve broken links in the Galleries which would require members to search out their builds on the old site then update the links in the Gallery.

The Admin Team

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short, the old site was hosted on Forumer which is now gone, replaced by Yuku.
Our old site was migrated (rehosted) by them: http://gregers.fr.yuku.com will get you there.

Our old site was maintained as a Read-Only Archive as it represented a number of years of our history. There are numerous links from here back into the old site.

In the process previously registered users were sent an email by Yuku to allow them to change password and sign in on the new site. As we will maintain it as a Read-Only Archive, there is really no need to have a password, sign in, etc -- you can see everything there as a Guest.

We have made only minor changes on the rehosted site, mostly to change the skin to something less green, and expect to do little else to it.

Some simple testing has determined that:
-- Yuku has set up a re-direct of Forumer links to Yuku.
-- All the re-directs we set up (ie, see past GB's) work just fine - you click on the link here and you'll end up there.
-- Likewise all 'pure' forum or topic references in your posts all work.
-- References inside a topic, such as to a page/post inside your old workbench, do not work - you will end up at the top of the forum, not lost in space.
-- Links to pictures should all work because, unless there was an exception, we did not actually store pix on Forumer but on 3rd party sites like photobucket. Red-X's should only represent pictures users have deleted and not migration problems.
-- There may be 'smilies' or other icons we had built up over the years that did not migrate; you may just see text representations.

We do not plan to try an automated conversion of links in this forum from Forumer to Yuku.
-- We have been told that the redirects will remain indefinitely, so there is no rush.
-- There is not an obvious conversion from one to another due to vastly different schemes.
-- It won't solve the broken 'internal links'.

We have started a manual conversion of our forum level (or topic) redirects to direct links - this will make access faster and 'safer' simply because we eliminate the 'middleman'.

For now, we recommend that users not worry about converting links because the redirects work, except for the 'internal ones', and usage is not that high. The impact of the broken 'internal ones' to this site is that some references to build threads in the Galleries will not go to the desired place but to the top of the forum. This would obviously also be true in other places, but the Gallery is the only site-level forum impacted that we know of.

We have no plan to fix the 'broken' Gallery links at this time, nor do we intend to delete Gallery entries just because those links are broken. For now, we would encourage users to look though their entries, identify broken links, and try to determine a new correct link on the 'Yuku forum' -- you can make the correction with a simple Edit. If any help is needed, please ask.

So, here we are. If you have any questions about, or problems with, the new-old/rehosted/Yuku site, please ask them here.

Thanks,
The Admin Team
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Info on the old UAMF, now migrated from Forumer to Yuku

Post by beany »

A big thank you from me you guys - I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to these kinds of tasks - the migration is a big SAVE as far as I'm concerned so good on the lot of ya! :party
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

We have been in contact with Yuku support and it may be possible to re-migrate the old forum. They may have fixes to the migration script that would bring across more of those links inside workbench threads, etc. A review of the Gallery shows there to be approximately 300 of them, not even looking at the Country or Individual Galleries. That's a pretty hefty amount and doesn't cover similar links elsewhere.

We suggest you not do any manual fixes to any Forumer links to convert them directly to Yuku links until we explore the re-migration option as the exisitng links may change. If we re-migrate, it may mean all new Welcome/password emails.

We will let you what and when, as soon as we know, which should be early this coming week.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

Thanks John. Was wondering what the heck Yuku was when I got the email from them. Think I will just leave well enough alone and just play here :-)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The re-migration is complete although on a quick look, it didn't solve much, so we may have to do it the long way, sometime ....

You will all get a new Password email and have to go through that again.

If you have trouble doing that, or even getting to the new site, i.e. http 500 server errors, then you probably have to clear your browser cache.

If you have been copying Yuku addresses to bypass the redirects through Forumer, it appears the re-migrated links are the same.

We have noted delays with the re-directs and will take a look at how best to resolve that, particularly in the Gallery, which is worst case. Sometime after we have made a summary of problems and suggested fixes, we'll post that here.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Note, if your username has a space in it then in the email it is replaced with an underscore _ however do not type in the underscore just the space as before when logging on.

The email mentioned changing my username due to illegal characters which caused me some confusion the first time I tried to login.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The Search function does not appear to be working.

A trouble ticket has been submitted and we'll keep you advised.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

In the meantime you can use google and restrict it to the site using

Code: Select all

site:http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/ matchbox provost
as your search text. Obviously replace "matchbox provost" with the words you want to search for.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The issue apparently is that with all the migrations, and our re-migrations, the search indexer is running behind. That we make no posts on the board puts ours lower in the queue

This search http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/search/text/ ... Search+All;
brings up no result and in the center, Search Results For, block it shows no date last indexed. When a date shows there, we're up ...

We're going to make a few dummy posts to try and wake it up ....

We'll let you know when it's back -- at least we now know the reasons ...

They expect the search indexer to be caught up by the end of the weekend
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The forum indexing has completed and search is now working.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

FYI: Oct 2017. Our old site has been migrated (rehosted) yet again: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gregersfr/ will get you there.

Many, if not all, of the comments in the 1st post of this topic are still applicable, and we still intend to do little about them as it is an archive. Most involve broken links in the Galleries which would require members to search out their builds on the old site then update the links in the Galleries.

The Admin Team

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”