can't PM with attachments

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

can't PM with attachments

Post by rob_van_riel »

I just tried to send a PM with a file attached. Whatever I called the file, it got rejected with an error saying "extension not allowed". Is there any way of getting a file through the system? If so, how. If not why does that option appear to be there in the first place?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: can't PM with attachments

Post by JamesPerrin »

There is not a lot of space set aside for attachments and consequently the attachment max size is very low. I've changed it from 256Kb to 1Mb but you are better using methods like Dropbox to exchange large files with other members.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

JamesPerrin wrote:There is not a lot of space set aside for attachments and consequently the attachment max size is very low. I've changed it from 256Kb to 1Mb but you are better using methods like Dropbox to exchange large files with other members.
That makes a lot of sense. However, it is not the reason why my file is being rejected. The file I tried to send is 473k, well below the 1M threshold. Just as a test, I've tried sending a 19 byte text file called test.txt, and it gets rejected with "The extension txt is not allowed.". I've tried several other extensions, even no extension at all, but the result is allways the same.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have moved this to the proper forum.

Thanks for reporting this. We are currently only set up to allow image files; we will have to look at opening others such as pure text without opening it up to scripts and other things that could be misused ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:I have moved this to the proper forum.
Thanks.
Thanks for reporting this. We are currently only set up to allow image files;
OK, that's even odder. The original 473k file I tried to send was called "clipped.jpg", and was exactly that, a jpg image that I'd clipped to reduce it's size. As near as I can tell, that should put it well within the limits that should have been accepted. I've just done some more testing, by progressively reducing the size of the file I try to attach. The jpg is now down to 97k, and still not being accepted, so I doubt file size is an issue. Error message, as before, is "The extension jpg is not allowed."
we will have to look at opening others such as pure text without opening it up to scripts and other things that could be misused ....
This might not be worth the security hazards.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Rob, guess I ought to test this myself. I'm going to have go back and look at the settings because I thought images were OK. I'll resist any "size does matter" jokes.

You should be able to email to the user from their profile or even the bottom area of a recent post by them.

Sorry for the missteps responding to your question.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I recently tried .jpg and .pdf and neither worked for me either.

David
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:Sorry for the missteps responding to your question.
No apologies necessary; that's just the way fault analysis works.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

dwomby wrote:I recently tried .jpg and .pdf and neither worked for me either.
Thanks for confirming that; there's always the nagging suspicion in my mind that problems like this might to due to something freaky on my end.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

The bottom line, after looking yet again, more carefully, among 3 or so control screens, is that we do not allow any attachments to PM, never have. The board software doesn't unfortunately give us an option to delete the "add attachment" from the PM screen.

Your comment, and now Dwomby's, are the first we've seen since we started, so now the Admins are going to have to chat about it amongst ourselves. In the mean time, use email or a dropbox ....
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:The bottom line, after looking yet again, more carefully, among 3 or so control screens, is that we do not allow any attachments to PM, never have. The board software doesn't unfortunately give us an option to delete the "add attachment" from the PM screen.

Your comment, and now Dwomby's, are the first we've seen since we started, so now the Admins are going to have to chat about it amongst ourselves. In the mean time, use email or a dropbox ....
No problem, except for the board software implying disabled functionality. Will switch to different means. Don't go changing policies on my account, there are plenty of alternatives for PMs with attachments.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

rob_van_riel wrote: No problem, except for the board software implying disabled functionality. Will switch to different means. Don't go changing policies on my account, there are plenty of alternatives for PMs with attachments.
Ditto. We can manage without. It's just confusing that the PM page seems to allow it.

David

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”