Rescribing panel lines

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Rescribing panel lines

Post by Spaceowl »

WHat is my basic set up to rescribe panel lines in terms of tools? I'm currently using a scalpel but it just doesn't cut it :-D
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
fredk

Re: Rescribing panel lines

Post by fredk »

Dymo tape and a pin or needle in a pin-drill finger vise
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

fredk wrote:Dymo tape and a pin or needle in a pin-drill finger vise
Ditto, use a sharp sewing needle, (a pin will more likely bend). Do several light passes to build up the desired depth. Lightly sand to remove the burr, and then rescore to remove sanding dust. Finally some people run a light coat of liquid poly over the lines, this softens minor imperfections and dissolve any remaining dust.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Brilliant chaps. Thanks very much.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Just found this tip online, put a needle into a mechanical pencil! Makes a scribe tool.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Olfa P-cutter ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

....but, how do you guys rescribe RAISED panel lines?
Up to now, I replaced them by scribing recessed ones, and that was ok looking in most cases, when I just had to overcome a small gap in the line.
I think if I want to make a new raised panel line, all I can do is take a very small amount of fine putty, and try to draw a straight line with it? or maybe take a very thin piece of sprue, glue it to the appropiate place, and sand it down, til it looks like a panel line? :-|
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
RayS

Post by RayS »

Crashpilot wrote:....but, how do you guys rescribe RAISED panel lines?
Up to now, I replaced them by scribing recessed ones, and that was ok looking in most cases, when I just had to overcome a small gap in the line.
I think if I want to make a new raised panel line, all I can do is take a very small amount of fine putty, and try to draw a straight line with it? or maybe take a very thin piece of sprue, glue it to the appropiate place, and sand it down, til it looks like a panel line? :-|
Both methods will work, with the putty method place some tape against the line you need to fix, run some putty along it. let it set, remove the tape and give it a light rub with wet n dry to bring it down to the size of the original. If you have an airbrush you can also spray some primer along the tape rather than using putty.

With the stretched sprue method, if you can get it stretched enough to make it about the same thickness of the line then it can be a straight replacement. I square off the edge of the unaffected line with a knife and scrape the tapered part of the line away. that way you have a positive start and end point for the section of sprue to be layed.
Ray
-----------------------
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88013.html;

David
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

RayS wrote:
Both methods will work, with the putty method place some tape against the line you need to fix, run some putty along it. let it set, remove the tape and give it a light rub with wet n dry to bring it down to the size of the original. If you have an airbrush you can also spray some primer along the tape rather than using putty.

With the stretched sprue method, if you can get it stretched enough to make it about the same thickness of the line then it can be a straight replacement. I square off the edge of the unaffected line with a knife and scrape the tapered part of the line away. that way you have a positive start and end point for the section of sprue to be layed.
Thanks for your advise, Ray! I´ll try that.
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Scribing is cutting into the plastic - like a V. So what you describe is not rescribing, you're trying to replace the raised (A) line not cut a V line. That might be easier gluing stretched sprue where you want the raised (A) section :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Construction Tips”